From:
Valorie J Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 19:34:59 -0500

Hi all!

I don't have celiac, but I do have MS and have read about an alternative
diet for MS that includes going gluten-free, so I have been lurking on this
site for a few weeks to pick up pointers on what exactly gluten-free means.
Thanks for lots of good info!!

I have read recently several messages about weight loss problems after going
on the GF diet. Most folks seem to try to cut out all fat (which I did at
first too) but the best way is to cut out animal and sat. fat (this includes
hydrogenated vegetable oils) and increase your intake of unsat. fat (canola,
sunflower oils, etc. I like sunflower best and I think it's safe for celiacs.)

I learned this trick from Dr. Roy Swank who specializes in MS. If you limit
your unsat fat intake to 4 teaspoons per day you will lose weight like
magic! I started Feb 3 and have lost 8 pounds! I eat more quantity-wise than
I did before and am almost never hungry (ever notice how you're always
hungry when you go totally fat-free--that's because you NEED the vegetable
unsat oils.)

So, I suggest (again, I am a patient like you, not an MD this is just my
opinion and my experience) decreasing your sat fat intake and keep
substituting applesauce, etc. in recipes, but don't forget to include at
least 4 teaspoons of unsat fat in your diet every day. After you've lost the
weight you can increase up to 10 teaspoons.

Hope this info helps someone. This list has sure answered a lot of my
questions on GF eating.