Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 16:53:26 -0600

Thanks for reply's to my questions on best cities to live in.  I will continue to collect them, and will share information with the group.

I also would like to share a related experience.  I have been taking Prevacid for GERD.  I was told by my doctor that I could take Prilosec which I could buy cheaper and without a RX.  So I went to the pharmacy and asked the Pharmacist if Prilosec contained Gluten.  Not one could tell me.  I also had them look up Prevacid.  They looked at the package insert and gave it to me to interpret!  When I asked them to please interpret all these chemical names for me, the were almost dumfounded.  After a loss of words, I asked them if any of them were pharmacists?  I asked them if they knew about Celiac Disease?  No one knew anything, except that "Some lady" in a near by city, had to look up things for that sensitivity.  I felt like a complete nuisance asking them for this information.  they were clearly at a loss, and very defensive.  They finally looked up the manufactures of these drugs and gave me their phone numbers.

I educated them about the seriousness and the prevalence of gluten intolerance and celiac's disease.  That seemed to care less,and said we have to it out ourselves.  The tech said the ingredients in all medications  can change on a daily basis, and their there was no way they can provide this information. I figure they should aatleast be able to interpret the chemical ingredients?

I am feeling pretty outraged at the moment.  Anyone have any knowledge about how to lobby for prescription labeling?

Denise

*******
*******