From:
ryan blokzyl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ryan blokzyl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:01:12 -0400

   I got lots of replies from people saying that it is okay to lick
> envelopes  They are GF.  There have been a few times at school my son wanted
> to participate in the class project which consisted of licking an envelope
> for something.

I did get these 2 replies that have good points:

> Hi, Suzanne,
>
> This is GENERALLY true.  If you buy standard envelopes from US
> manufacturers who provide for the masses--major envelope companies--then
> these envelopes are ok because they use a safe glue.  If, however, you buy
> custom stationery from a private artisan--someone who makes their own line
> of stationery products, or from sources outside the USA, then this is not
> necessarily the case.  Artisans who have their own lines of stationery could
> make envelopes using old fashioned methods which would include gluten
> pastes.  And this would make sense that they would, because the goal of many
> of these stationery makers is to carry on the early traditions of their
> crafts, which includes using wheat paste.

===========
Suzanne,

I read the same article and thought about it.  I think that it said that the
envelope manufacturers in the US...  With the global market and much coming
from China these days - how do you know if the envelopes or the adhesive
from the envelopes are not coming from China?  You never see an ingredients
list either.

I'm not even licking envelopes anymore and I don't have CD (my daughter
does).  I can't remember if it was in that same article or another one I
read - but it said that if you saw the manufacturing conditions at the
envelope companies, you would not want to lick the envelopes.  I don't trust
all these foods coming from China (and who knows about envelopes).  I bought
a little water moistener bottle at Office Depot for cards and such.  Regular
bulk envelopes that I buy have self stick adhesive.