From:
Jan Gamble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 15:30:30 -0700

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the help in my search to find some way to make good
macaroni & cheese.  I got probably close to 50 responses and only 2 used
these products.  Having said that, it looks like the majority of you
don't consider these products GF.  Several mentioned that these products
were GF in Canada, but not in the USA.  I'm not sure why.

I received a lot of alternatives though.  Lots of you love the Pastariso
Marcariz.  I didn't know it was available from my small town health food
store since they didn't stock it - but they've ordered me some of that,
and some Deboles brand also.  Pastato, Pastariso, and Deboles all come
complete in the box.  Hopefully one will pass the taste test!!  I've
also been looking for the Ragu Cheese Creations Double Cheddar sauce.
It is GF, and that was equally cherished among you mac & cheese eaters.

I live in the northwest, so I don't have a Krogers near me.  But if any
are interested, several said that Kroger's Nice'n Cheesy is GF.  It
comes in a box just like velveeta.  A couple of different powdered
cheeses were mentioned:  Cabot's Cheddar Shake,  and some powdered
cheddar cheese that is available from the GF pantry.   Use these with
milk & butter, just like the box kind.  I also had some people say they
use the cheddar mix out of the Kraft box and put it on their own GF
noodles.

Finally, if you want to make your cheese sauce from scratch, you can do
that too.  Recipes varied, but were basically made from a white sauce
(melted butter, GF flour or cornstarch, and milk), then added grated
cheddar cheese to make it a cheesy sauce.

Hopefully one of these ideas will satisfy this little guy of mine -- he
is trying so hard to adjust.  Thanks for all your help.

Jan