From:
Angela Bulawski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Angela Bulawski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2007 13:48:27 -0400

Here are the responses I received about strawberry cake recipes.  I asked
specifically about adding pureed strawberries or flavored gelatin to a
white GF cake mix and a few people say that it has worked (if using pureed
strawberries, decrease some of the other liquid.)  I haven't tried
anything yet...just didn't get a chance to get to the store this weekend!
Thank you all!

A previous strawberry bread was posted.  The original poster sent me the
link and explained that it was more like a cake.  Another person uses this
recipe with blueberries, etc. I cut the sugar to 1 cup and it's just fine.
Also you need to use solid shortening to grease the pan and let cool for
five to ten minutes before taking it out of the pan. The recipe calls for
2 baskets, which is simply 2 pint baskets, not the larger ones.
http://listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?
A2=ind0304E&L=CELIAC&P=R644&I=-3

If you have access to any health food store that would carry Dietary
Specialty cakes mixes, they have a very good white cake mix and you can
just use the Old Strawberry cake recipe to make the cake. It works great
with that white cake mix. I've made them for sale to our support group and
it is a great cake.

I often use the packages of Jello when I want to flavor a cake.

I would use some strawberry jam in place of some of the liquid in the
recipe.   If you are worried about getting the batter the right
consistency make a layer cake with the jam in the middle.  Frost it with a
butter cream frosting also with the jam in it.  Put fresh berries along
with candles on the top.

How about making the white cake mix.  Let it cool, poke holes in the top,
mix a package of Strawberry jello with only 1 cup of water, pour over cake
top.  Refrigerate for 4 hours, serve with whipped cream.  We love this
recipe, especially in the summer.
Or you could make the white cake mix and use Strawberry flavoring in it.

My mother used to make a cooked frosting based on egg white with frozen
strawberries in it.  It was a 7 min cooked frosting made in a double boiler
with a hand mixer.   Could you use that on a white or yellow cake?  I
could dig up the recipe.  You might be able to put drained fz strawberries
or fresh ones between the layers and garnish the pink frosting with
strawberries.

Yes, this is what I do.  I cut back on the required liquid and add pureed
strawberries.  Sometimes I add the small box of jello or I may add a bit of
red food coloring if I don't use the jello.  I use the cake mix formula
from the Bette Hagman cookbooks but any white mix would do the same I
imagine

Strawberry Muffins or Bundt Cake

2 1/3 cups GF flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp cinnamon
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
24 oz thawed frozen strawberries minus 1 cup
1 cup chopped pecans
Beat the eggs and oil together; gradually add sugar.  Mix together:
flour, baking soda, salt, xanthan gum, and cinnamon.  Add to egg mixture
and mix until combined.  Add strawberries and beat until strawberries are
broken up.  Add pecans and pour into oiled muffin tin or greased and
floured bundt pan.  Bake at 350 until tested done with toothpick.

Make a glaze from some of leftover strawberries, powdered sugar, milk and
vanilla.  Drizzle over cooled muffins or cake.