Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2008 19:30:38 -0500

--In looking at The Essential Gluten-Free restaurant Guide
for 2008-09, this is a list of what I think are non-chain
restaurants that accommodate gluten free folks in
Asheville, NC:

Doc Chey's Asian Kitchen - 37 Biltmore Ave, Asheville 28801
828-252-8220
Earth Fare Market - 1856 Hendersonville, Rd. Asheville
28803 828-210-0100 or 66 Westgate pkwy 828-253-7656
Flying Frog Cafe 1 Battery Park Ave, Asheville 28801 828
254-9411
Laughing Seed Cafe 40 Wall St. Asheville, 29901
828-252-3445
O'Charley's 2 Kenilworth Knowll Asheville, 28805
828-281-0540
Rezaz (Mediterranean) 28 Hendersonville, Rd. Asheville,
28803 828-277-1510

--No specific suggestions, but most of the restaurants
downtown make food from scratch.

--Not sure about restaurants, but there is are several
health food groceries, including Earthfare and Greenlife)
which is EXCELLENT! They have a great selection of gf
products. There is also a hot and cold bar, and as I
recall, the counter clerks were good about telling me if
things were truly gf.

-- As I remember, every restaurant in downtown on Pack
square has been knowledgeable and easy to eat at - if
servers aren't familiar with celiac, they almost always
know of wheat/gluten free diets, and chefs are even better.
 I had a great experience at Bistro 1896
(http://www.bistro1896.com).  Doc Chey's noodle house has a
gluten free menu (http://www.doccheys.com/).  There are
also lots of sushi places, which are always easy, and of
course the normal chains like Outback and Bonefish if all
else fails.

--From the Director of the Asheville Gluten Intolerance
Support Group. Below
you will find a list of the local gluten-free friendly
restaurants. Of
course you should either call ahead or go at a time that is
not too busy to
be assured of the proper service. You can also run into a
new server
anytime, so be sure to ask for a manager or chef. Hope you
enjoy your stay!

The comments and experiences of local GIG members are
provided in  following each listing.

Outback Steakhouse
30 Tunnel Road, Asheville, NC  28805
Phone:  (828) 252-4510
250 Mitchelle Dr., Hendersonville, NC
Phone: (828) 692-1109
www.outback.com
The Outback Steakhouse is the most dependable with an
up-to-date GF menu. They even have GF beer.

Bonefish Grill
105C River Hills Road, 105 C River Hills Rd, Asheville, NC
 28778
Phone:  (828) 298-6530
www.bonefishgrill.com
The GF menu at the Bonefish is not up-to-date and you have
to depend on the server to identify with your needs.

Carrabba’s Italian Grill
10 Buckstone Place, Asheville, NC  28805
Phone:  (828) 281-2300
www.carrabbas.com

PF Chang’s China Bistro
They also have their own GF menu with lots of choices.
I personally love the GF lettuce wraps and Chang’s Chicken
(a little spicy though)
NC locations in Charlotte, Greensboro, Durham and Raleigh.
Go to pfchangs.com for directions and phone #s.

Chili’s
253 Tunnel Road, Asheville, NC 28805
Phone: (828) 252-4999
Thought you might like to know that we were in Chili's...I
mentioned a gluten-free menu...They had one, and I had ribs
and mashed potatoes and broccoli..and it was great!

Moe’s Southwest Grill
300 Airport Rd. Arden, NC  828-684-4452
1 Hendersonville Rd. Asheville 828-225-6637
1840 Hendersonville Rd. Asheville 828-274-7260
Ask to have your meal in a bowl. Also ask the server to
change their gloves before handling your food. They are
very willing to do this. Their food is typical Mexican type
food.

Flying Frog Café and Restaurant
1 Battery Park Ave, Asheville, NC  28801
Phone: (828) 254-9411
www.flyingfrogcafe.com
I also spoke with someone in the office where I work who
said the Flying Frog Café/ Restaurant here in Asheville
will prepare gluten-free items upon request.

Chef in Motion
57 Victoria Rd., Asheville, NC  28801
Phone:  (828) 350-8999
http://chefinmotion.com
I have been talking with some new friends of mine who run a
wonderful restaurant here in Asheville.  It's called Chef
in Motion and Brenda and Mo are the proprietors.  I have
been talking with them about GF stuff and they have been
reading up on it.  Mo made me some wonderful GF bread.
 They have some other clients who have food issues...and
most of their menu is well on the way to being GF.  They
will have to call ahead to make special
arrangements...although folks do that all the time. Chef in
Motion is a perfect match in my opinion.

Athens Pizza
11 Patton Cove Rd, Swannanoa, NC
Phone:  (828) 686-0802
Way out Tunnel Road (or I-40 East to the Swannanoa Exit) is
Athens Pizza, an unassuming little restaurant right at the
exit.  Renowned for its good Greek food, we enjoy their
Chicken Gyro Platter, "Hold the pita, may we have potato
chips instead, please."  A good GF meal, particularly if
you can enjoy the yogurt-based tzatziki sauce.

The Corner kitchen
At the corner of Boston Way & All Souls Crescent
Biltmore Village, 828-274-2439
www.thecornerkitchen.com
They are very knowledgeable about celiacs and have hosted a
GIG restaurant outing in the past; always a few options for
us and the menu changes weekly.  Good for breakfast, lunch
or dinner.