From:
Judith Potts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 1996 13:44:30 -0500

Three years ago, I started to have severe gastrointestinal problems. I had
colonoscopy, xrays, blood tests, ct scan, ultrasounds. No cancer, colitis,
Crohns. Told it was probably irritable bowel syndrome (a crock diagnosis
IMHO). Told to eat lots of bran and I'd be fine.

One year later, still having major pain, diarrhea, etc., so family
physician ordered stool test. Showed elevated fat in stool (steatorrhea).
GI refused to change his diagnosis.

Went on semi-wheat free diet for about 2 months while waiting to see
another GI. Started to feel a bit better. New GI said eat wheat for 5 weeks
and he'd do a biopsy. Biopsy was negative.

I'm still diagnosed as having irritable bowel syndrome.

On my own, I have over the past 8 months made myself much much better by
almost totally cutting out dairy products, eliminating (I think) wheat, rye
and barley and taking megadoses of vitamins and minerals.

But what do I do now? If I just have a wheat sensitivity, I'll try to avoid
wheat most of the time and cheat now and then (knowing I'll have problems
for a few days). However, if I truly have celiac disease, I obviously
wouldn't cheat ***EVER*** and I would do much better than **try** to avoid
wheat.

Also, when people ask me why I'm sick, I have to say "I think I'm allergic
to wheat." I find it hard for people to take my condition seriously when I
can't give a definitive answer.

I definitely won't go back on wheat so I can have another biopsy. Is it
possible to have the celiac screening blood tests while on a GF diet?

Do you think there would be any value in going to an immunologist to be
tested for food sensitivities? Neither GI nor my family physician would
refer me to one as they said the food allergy tests are worthless.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

...writing up a storm in Ontario, Canada