From:
Anne Barfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne Barfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 18:13:15 -0600

Now that Chicken Paradise, www.chickenparadise.com, is a member of the San
Antonio Bed and Breakfast Association,  http://www.sanantoniobb.org/  we are
beginning to have guests who are not familiar with celiac disease.  One of
the first questions I ask is if they have any dietary restrictions or
preferences, and I am surprised to report that so far, all of them do, and
are delighted that I asked.

In fact, in February, the two different guests that found us on SABBA asked
me what celiac disease is.  Once I give them a short explanation, they start
asking questions, and one man started telling me all his symptoms.  He has
been searching for the source of his problem for years.  Everything he told
me sounded familiar and I gave him a packet of information and the name of a
good gastroenterologist in his area.  He had been diagnosed with IBS, and it
is being treated with prednisone.....

The other one listened for a moment and then you could see the lightbulb go
off in his head.  He has a friend with a young adult daughter who has
suffered for years. She is very small, weighs less than 100 pounds, and
pizza makes her stomach hurt.  Who knows what other symptoms she might have?
He too, went away with a packet of information to share with his friend.

Our non-celiac guests are surprised to find that our breakfasts are as good
as, and maybe better than the typical B and B.  Joe and I enjoy surprising
our guests with an extra special made-to-order full breakfast with fresh
eggs, or whatever else strikes their fancy.  Our non-celiac guests
thoroughly enjoy the scones, pancakes, waffles or toast.  They find it hard
to believe they are gluten free, and usually ask for recipes.

Alamo Celiac and ROCKSA will be hosting a gluten free Easter Egg Hunt, with
Easter Bunny in attendance, on Saturday, April 15 at 2pm.  If you are near
San Antonio, and wish to bring your gf egg hunters, contact me for more
information.
We hope you will come visit us when you have a need or desire to visit San
Antonio.  We still have some vacancies for the prime time of Fiesta, which
is the third week of April.  Give us a call or e-mail me at

Anne Barfield

606 Jackson Keller Rd

San Antonio, Texas 78216

www.chickenparadise.com