From:
Susan Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 00:24:39 EST

got pretty much the same answer from anyone when i asked how much wheat i
should injest to try for positive blood test -- lots!

i'm trying to eat at least 4 pieces of bread a day, which is much harder than
i thought it would be.  not only because of the volume, but because i feel
lousy after eating it and have generally felt my health going back downhill
again.  but i only have one more week, and i'm not in such drastically bad
shape that this'll matter in the long run, but then i'm off it one way or
another, because i just don't feel as good when i do eat it.

naturally, i neglected to mention that i'm on the candida diet also, but i've
decided to maintain that except for the carbs in the bread i'm now eating,
because i have made progress and i don't want to lose all of it ;)
-----------------------------
I have read that you should be eating the equivalent of 4 slices of bread
(can't remember if the said equivalent to whole grain or not).
-----
Just normal amounts at each meal, Susan. But you must remember that even
then the blood tests will give a false negative from twenty to fifty
percent of the time -- according to which study you read.
-----
I was told to eat at least 4 slices of whole wheat
bread a day.
-----
I think you should injest as much as you can tolerate.  These tests are so
iffy anyway, you don't wan't to do anything that might produce a false
negative.
-----
You stated "i haven't gone entirely gluten free for any length of time in the
last month."  To me this means that you have tried to cut some gluten out of
your diet.  If this is the case, I would go back to eating more gluten then
ever in the next two weeks - hopefully if Celiac is to be your dx this will
increase the chance of getting a true dx.  When I say eat more gluten, I mean
I would eat more bread, pasta or pizza.  They all have a lot of wheat in them.
-----
I don't have any authoritative information to share with you, just advice to
eat as you normally would until your blood tests, or even increase the
amount of wheat you would normally eat.
-----
I don't know if two wks is long enough ,but go to the store and get a
bag of gluten , one can buy it in a small bag. Put it in everything you
eat, so to get  the best test, you could get a false neg. and what good
is that> then don't do any more challenges
-----
THANK YOU to all who responded!  it is encouraging to hear from everyone.

susan ;)