From:
Katriina Mdkinen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 1995 00:03:15 +0200

Hello from Sweden,

I'm new to this list and new to celiac disease. I was diagnosed for 3
months ago by my gynaecologist!! (, she has CD too). Then I did some
bloodtests but they were negative. I'm going to do a biopsy in september
but my doctor thought that I should be on G F diet even if the diagnoses
isn't confirmed because of my family history: my brother was diagnosed 6
months ago (blood test) and my grandfather (on my father's side) couldn't
eat any grain products and my grandmother (on my mother's side) problems
with h er stomach after eating grain products...and I have had diarrheas
and stomach ache as long as I remember (I thought it was normal, that's
why I didn't do anything about it).

This GF diet has really changed my life: not only do I feel terrific, also
I can live more freely because I'm not depending on the toilets anymore
(haven't had diarrhea since I started the diet). And following the diet
wasn't as bad as I thought, they sell GF products in local grocery
stores: all kinds of pasta, different flours (rice-flour, corn-flour etc)
and ready-to-use flour mixes, bread, cookies, etc. Even McDonald's has GF
hamburgers, you can order which hamburger you like with GF bread and it
doesn't cost extra. When I told the staff there that I had CD they got me
a list showing which of the products were safe, boy was I happy because I
have been kind of McDonald's freak and the thought living without BicMacs
made me really sad :-( but now I can have my BicMacs again :-)

The sad thing is that I now react to very small amounts gluten. Of course
I try to avoid food with gluten but sometimes it happends anyway
and then I get really sick, I get this stomach ache which almost makes me
faint and then I throw up several hours, has anyone else experienced the
same after going GF? I don't know how I'm going to survive the gluten
challenge in September....

Well next week I'm meeting a dietist, hopefully she can teach me how to
avoid things like modified starch (I didn't know what it was before I read
somewhere that it is made of wheat if it doesn't say corn or someting
else), and you people on this list learned me to avoid soy sauce...It
takes time to learn all this stuff but it sure is worth it! I never
thought I could feel this good!!!

Katriina Makinen                     [log in to unmask]

"Living a wonderful GF life in Stockholm, Sweden"