From:
Jessica Otey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jessica Otey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 02:42:34 -0500

Dear Listmates,

Thanks to anyone who is taking the time to read this posting, which will be
sort of an assortment of questions, queries.

My blood test results came back--only the anti-gliadin IgG was a weak
positive. The others, normal. I haven't met with the doc or seen the
results myself (the advice nurse read them to me) so I've yet to really
delve into them. Plus I was pretty much GF for about a month before the
test. (If anyone is interested in specifics, I'd be happy to share numbers
once I get a copy.)

Anyway, I know you all "told me so" about the blood test, but the doc
seemed to think (he's probably never seen a case of celiac, of course) that
they'd be worth doing since his literature said
the rate of decay was 6 to
12 months. And his literature (out of date I'm sure) didn't mention the
stool test or the gene test.  And since they pay 80% of what they approve,
I did it.

Well, the point is, after really wanting the test to say YES, YOU HAVE THIS
CONDITION, I've moved on a bit to realize that I have to live GF and
whatever else free to feel good, so I'll do it regardless of test results.

Here are my questions:

1) Does the gene test test for sensitivity to gluten, or just the chances
of celiac disease?  Which of course begs the question, is there such thing
as Gluten Intolerance that will never turn into Celiac? I'm interested in
opinions on this, since it changes the cheating/accidental ingestion
scenario from one of "oh, whoops, now I have annoying symptoms for a bit"
to "oh no, I'm endangering my long-term health". This is an important
de
cision for me, to let me know how strict I need to be in this gf thing.
Anyway, re the gene test, were I to take it and be negative, would it mean
that I cannot have a sensitivity to gluten?

2) I'm pretty confident what is going on with me is gluten related, but I'm
not sure that it isn't other things, too. What is the best way to find out
what other things are causing problems? The elimination diet? Any
suggestions would be welcome.  I know a lot of people have/get corn
problems, and I'm half entertaining the notion that such may be occuring
with me, but I'm in denial a bit since I don't want it to be true....

3) Xantham gum--I would like a substitute for it other than guar gum, which
is a problem for me.  I scanned the archives and found methocel and pectin
mentioned--does anyone know if and how either of these should be used, or
have any other ideas?

4) SOY continue
s to be a problem, and I seek to avoid it. Does anyone by
chance know of a company that makes soy-free chocolate chips?

5) DAIRY--I've been eating dairy products frequently using lactase pills.
Does anyone know if I'd heal faster/be better off by avoiding the products
(and the pills) all together? Ideally I'm hoping to return to full lactose
tolerance and not need the pills... of course it could be that I'm just
permanently lactose intolerant, unrelated to any gf problems.

6) SF Bay Area (California) support groups?  If anyone is in one (I live in
Berkeley) and has info on them, I'd appreciate it. My life has pretty much
been turned a little topsy by this whole journey, and I'd be interested in
person-to-person support. Though of course I appreciate this very helpful
and supportive Listserve!

That's all I can think of at the moment. Thanks for listening.
Best,
Je
ssica