From:
Marian Wisnev <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:26:41 -0500

I have received two additional replies to my post regarding the
Cheesecake Factory.  Sorry that I didn't copy my original post to them.
I "usually" indicate that I have Celiac Disease and cannot eat gluten -
wheat, barley, rye and oats.  Sorry, you obviously have a copy of my
letter and I obviously neglected to do so in this case..  HOWEVER,  your
suggestions are good for us all.  Some manufacturers not familiar with
Celiac Disease also include corn gluten in determining their reply.

Dear Marian,they do not seem to understand what gluten is"all types of
flour" do not contain gluten,nor do all starches.Still,considering their
seeming lack of knowledge you probably are better off not accepting their
recommendations on G.F.:) Rice isn't Gluten either,Tracy in South Africa

Marian,

It appears that you may have asked if their products contained gluten, if
so,
you should have asked if their products contain wheat, rye, barley, and
oats
or any derivatives from these grains. Corn and rice both contain gluten,
but
not the dangerous kind for celiacs.

When manufacturers are asked about gluten, it confuses them and to be
honest
with you, if they use cornstarch, they must say yes to the question.

I always recommend to people to ask about the specific grains and not use
the
word gluten. It does become an education process for all of us.

Sincerely,
Nancy
WA