From:
Lisa Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 09:39:43 -0500

Hello Listmembers,

  I am writing on  behalf of Chris de Beer in South Africa.  Chris has a
son who is Gluten, Casein and Yeast free and is looking for ideas for
baking breads.  Any help you could offer, would be greatly appreciated.
Please send your replies to: [log in to unmask]  The following is a copy
of the initial message I received:

<<<<I desperately need some advice!. My son has a leaky gut, needs to be on
a casein free diet and is ADHD (Attention deficient hyperactive disorder).
The net result of all this is that we are told he cannot eat anything with
yeast in as it aggravates the ADHD.

So my problem: We bought a Panasonic Bread machine to bake "clean" bread. I
have spent all weekend trying to bake normal bread but substituting baking
soda for yeast but achieved, in 6 attempts, nothing that resembled bread.
It simply did not rise. I ended up in a small bread adding (for 1.5
teaspoons of active yeast) 2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1.5 teaspoons
of Bicarbonate of Soda (I even tried adding Cream of Tartar). We are quite
high above sea level (5000 ft) if that means anything.

In my machine the dry ingredients such as the baking powder and the Bicarb
is added first followed by the flour , salt ,sugar and then the liquids on
top.

Important: I used the rapid bale cycle on my machine involving kneading - a
long period for "rising" and about 30 - 40 minutes of baking. The whole
cycle  just short of 2 hours.>>>>

Please help!

Chris de Beer

Mobile: 27-82-902 4130