From:
Sherri Castle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 18 Jun 2005 01:00:29 EDT

(This one is very long, but worth reading I think.  She also included  some
interesting attachments that I can email to anyone who is interested.   I will
have to break it into parts so it can be posted. --  Sherri)

How long is too long off gluten to try a challenge?  No one  knows.

How long should the challenge be to cause reinjury to a body part that the
medical community can test?  Who knows?

Where will the damage occur in each individual patient? the gut, the  brain,
the organs or reproductive system?  Who knows?   Researchers do not agree and
some of the research is still unvalidated.

Will the damage done by the gluten challenge be reversible?  Perhaps  in most
cases.  But who knows for each individual child, elder, or  anybody?

Some of us may need to accept "response to the diet" as conclusive proof of
gluten intolerance.  For some of us, we may need to include a strict GF  diet,
but also look beyond just gluten intolerance for  other contributing factors.

More research is needed, and priority needs to be placed on this  direction
of research.  Doctors are bound in their recommendations by  available
validated research.  So far, the body of research  has focused only on  biopsy proven
"villi damaged celiac"  subjects.  We patients need to encourage research on
this large body of  negative testing subjects.

I am more than pleased to include a link to a newly presented brochure by
the GIG Gluten Intolerance Group, posted yesterday on this forum.  Kudos to
this group for their hard work in putting it together and their equally hard
working medical board that approved it.

_http://www.gluten.net/publications.html_
(http://www.gluten.net/publications.html)     Scroll down to "Gluten Sensitivity".

I hope you find answers for your family.

Footnotes

Footnote # 1 - (Prevalence  of Celiac Disease in At-Risk and Not-as-Risk
Groups in the United  States      Archives of Internal Medicine, Feb,  2003)
Alessio  Fasano, MD; Irene Berti, MD;  Tania  Gerarduzzi, MD;  Tarcisio Not,  MD;
Richard B. Colletti, MD;  Sandro Drago, MS;  Yoram Elitsur, MD;  Peter H. R.
Green, MD;  Stefano Guandalini, MD;  Ivor D. Hill, MD;  Michelle Pietzak, MD;
Alessandro Ventura, MD;  Mary Thorpe, MS;  Debbie Kryszak, BS;

Fabiola  Fornaroli, MD;  Steven S. Wasserman,  PhD, Joseph A. Murray,  MD,
Karoly  Horvath, MD,  PhD

Footnote # 2 - _www.enterolab.com_ (http://www.enterolab.com/)   Early
Diagnosis, Before the Villi are Gone
       Transcript  of a talk given by Kenneth Fine, M.D. to the Greater
Louisville Celiac Sprue  Support Group, June 2003.  Dr. Fine is in the process of
validating his  research.

also
Gluten  Sensitivity as a Neurological Illness;  From Gut to Brain
Journal of  Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry 2002;72:560-563
© 2002 _Journal  of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry_
(http://jnnp.bmjjournals.com/misc/terms.shtml)
M Hadjivassiliou, R A Grünewald and G A B Davies-Jones
Department of Neurology, The Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Glossop Road
Sheffield, S10 2JF, UK
Gluten  Sensitivity a Many Headed Hydra
M Hadjivassiliou, R A Grünewald and G A B Davies-Jones
BMJ  1999;  318; 17 10-1711
Marsh's "modern" definition of gluten sensitivity is to be recommended:  "a
state of heightened immunological responsiveness to ingested  gluten in
genetically susceptible  individuals."_10_
(http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/318/7200/1710#B10#B10)  Such responsiveness may find expression in organs
other than the gut. Gastroenterologists, dermatologists, to be neurologists,
and other physicians need to be aware of these developments if the diagnosis and
treatment of the diverse manifestations of gluten sensitivity are advanced.
The aetiology of such diverse manifestations presents the next challenge.
(10) Marsh MN. The natural history of gluten sensitivity: defining,  refining
and re-defining. Q J Med 1995; 85:  9-13.)
Footnote # 3 -  Mortality in Patients with Celiac Disease and Their
Relatives, a Cohort  Study.  Lancet. Vol. 358, August 4,  2001