From:
Abigail Neuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 10:16:23 -0700

Hi everyone.  Robert's question on the parasite Giardia reminded of a book I
am reading which mentions other causes of flatten villi.  It's not a
laypersons's book, however I am a layperson--so I don't know much about it,
and I am trying to skim from it what I can.

Title:  Coeliac Disease
Authors: W T Cooke and G K Holmes
Publisher:  Churchill Livingstone, Medical Division of Longman Group Limited
(published in 1984)

If someone on a gluten free diet for celiac disease continues to have flatten
villi after a long period of treatment, these other causes should be
considered as possible additional causes for flattened villi.

The following are listed as causes of flat small intestinal biopsies:
(Although *some* of these rarely cause flat villi and are usually found in
conjunction with Coeliac Disease or Immunodeciencies according to the book.)

Coeliac Disease
Cow's Milk Protein Intolerance
Soy Protein Intolerance
Refractory Sprue
Collagenous Sprue
Immunodefiency Synodromes
Mediterranean Lymphoma
Intestinal Ulceration
Gastroenteritis
Intractable Diarrhoea of Infancy
Protein Calorie Malnutrition
Kwashiorkor
Tropical Sprue
Parasitic Disease:
  Giardiasis
  Strongyloidiasis
  Coccidiosis
  Intestinal Capillariasis
  Hookworm Disease
Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis
Contaminated Bowel Syndrome
Drug and Radiation Damage

I am not sure what all of these are.  They give a brief overview of some of
these in the book.  I have the book on a interlibrary loan from the
Biomedical Library at the University of Minnesota.  It is probably available
at most college medical libraries.

Abigail, St Paul MN
---
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4003/
Join the Monday night Celiac chats from 8PM - 10PM ET
and the celiac forum at: http://www.medsupport.org