From:
"David D." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 10:55:36 EDT

Well, here is the summary.  First of all, I want to thank all of you for your
contributions, including the address, phone, and readings from Hunt Wesson's gf
list.  For those that would like the address and phone:

(800) 457-6649
(714) 680-1000.
Fax is (714)449-5100.
Hunt-Wesson, Inc.
P.O.Box 4800
Fullerton, CA 92634-4800

Okay.   Here is the good stuff regarding the Traditional Refried beans.

I did recieve some messages that said okay, some that said no.  Yet, I
received none that said they had a problem with them.  Rather, I recieved
that referred to a list put out by the company for people with food
sensitivities.

Apparently, the current list from Hunt Wesson HAS the beans listed as GF,
along with vegetarian ones and a few others.  Another indicated that because
of the vinegar, they are no longer guaranteed GF.  To clarify, I thought I'd
call the company.  Basically, what she said was that they are NOT guaranteed
GF because of the vinegar.  They buy it from other sources, not necessarily
the same one each time, and it may be from either wheat or corn mash.

Of interest, is that the list of product ingredients *she* had did *not* have
the vinegar listed as in the traditional beans yet.  Therefore the addition
of the vinegar represents a more recent change in the recipe/formulation from
when the list was originally printed.  She told me to check the vegetarian
out since it, also, does not have vinegar in it, according to her product
ingredient list.  However, she warned me, as we all must remember to do....
check the label to make sure the ingredients have not changed!  If the
vegetarian now contains vinegar, they are no longer safe!

On a positive note, I will soon have my own copy of thier food list!

Thanks again to all who responded!

Joanne