Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2008 14:38:04 +0000

To my fellow CT listserv members:

I just wanted to let you know that Ernies Pizza, 1279 Whalley Avenue, New Haven, CT (Westville section) now carries gluten-free "Still Riding Pizza" shells. My son and I had some on this weekend and it was absolutely delicious! Pat, the owner, has been testing the pizzas out with his celiac brother-in-law.  I talked to Pat and he appears to be very aware of cross-contamination issues. He cleans his work space and uses the special screen "Still Riding Pizza" provided for the shells. He is doing a "soft launch" because he wants to become more familiar with the process of preparing the gf pizza before he advertises. For this reason, he says that it is best (and safer) to come for the gf pizza during the off-peak times and he asked that we call ahead of time to confirm that he has the gf shells in stock.

Obviously, cross-contamination is a big issue in a pizzeria, so everyone must decide for themselves whether they are comfortable.  I was comfortable this weekend because we were the only ones there and you could actually see what Pat was doing. Neither my son nor I had any adverse reactions. Not a real test, but I'd like to think that it does have some probative value.

-Viviana