From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 23:50:02 EST

Miscellaneous Notes:
--------------------

President's Corner:  Thanksgiving is just around the corner.  I have a
few areas of concern for ALL of the holidays.  Please make sure the
turkey is gluten-free (GF).  You can do this by either requesting
whomever is having the meal to buy a specific brand, OR you can
purchase the turkey yourself.  Do not eat the turkey if it has been
stuffed with regular (non-GF) stuffing.  Regular stuffing has to be
made separately or it will contaminate the entire turkey.  Also, don't
eat the filling from regular pies and leave the crust, if you do you
will definitely be ingesting gluten!  Ask whomever is making the pies
to put some filling (check what kind it is) in a separate custard dish
for you, or offer to make the pies yourself.  (Bette Hagman's pie
crusts are wonderful.) I know this is a hassle, but with a bit of
"homework" ahead of time you can have a safe holiday.  Once you've
instructed your family members to check with you on your food
preparation, they will check with you every time.

I had a few requests after last month's meeting for my bread recipes.
The recipes I rely on the most are the ones from the Red Star recipe
brochure (if you don't have one, call 1-800-4CELIAC and they will send
you one) and also many of the Bette Hagman recipes.  I find they are
all very good.  It's really a matter of learning to use your own bread
machine, which involves a lot of trial and error.--Mary Guerriero

                            -=-=-=-=-=-=-

A New Beginning:  Here is a story with a happy ending....well not an
ending but a beginning.

One of our members, Glyke Dixon, moved to Warsaw, Poland with her
family because of her husband, David's job.  Now the fact that she
does not speak Polish did not dampen her spirits.  They packed their
three children, Alexandra, Andreas and Christopher, their three dogs,
Zeus, Apollo and Olympia and off they went.  Mary, our president, knew
that I communicate with my cousins in Poland so she asked me if I
could find out how Glyke was doing.  When I called Glyke, I learned
that they had been in Warsaw about a week, the children were enrolled
in school, but Glyke was not feeling well at all.  So I called my
cousin Wiesia Salach in Warsaw whose daughter, Ania has been learning
English.

Wiesia called the Polish organization for People on a Gluten Free Diet
for information.  Then Wiesia and Ania took the Dixons on a shopping
trip.  Ania was so happy to make friends with Americans so that she
could practice her English.  The Salach family met the whole Dixon
family and Ania sent me an e-mail message telling me how happy they
were with their newfound friends, the Dixons, who are such warm and
friendly people.

And so this is the story of a happy beginning....of a new adventure in
a new country....of a new friendship.  I am happy to have been a part
of this story.  TCCSSG and its members have done so much for
me!--Regina Kukielka

                            -=-=-=-=-=-=-

The Gluten Free Gang's 9th Annual Celiac Program will be held on
Saturday December 6th, 1997, in Columbus Ohio, at 8 am.  The location
is the Children's Hospital Education Center.  This is a program for
adults as well as children.  Special Guest Speaker Joseph Murray, MD,
will begin the program.  Mary Kay Sharrett, MS, RD, LD, will speak on
the celiac diet.  There will be workshops, sessions on the internet,
GF Asian foods, the mind-body-spirit connection, and manual bread
making.  Then there will be a panel discussion and Q & A, with
panelists Joseph Murray, B Li, MD, Steve Plogsted, PharmD, and Mary
Kay Sharrett.  The program will conclude with a Holiday Pot Luck
Luncheon at 1 pm.

There will also be separate programs for teenagers (including
roundtable sessions on the Internet, exploration stations, and "From
Parties to Overnights....Fitting in with Celiac"), kids ages 7-10, and
kids ages 4-6.  Toddler care will be provided for children ages 2-3.
All the children will join their parents for the pot luck luncheon.

Registration is $15 for adults (age 15 and over) and must be received
by November 21, 1997.  Children 14 and under attend for free.  Make
your check payable to Children's Hospital and mail it to Community
Education, Children's Hospital, 700 Children's Drive, Columbus, OH
43205-2696.  Along with your check, indicate:

  ...the names and ages of each person attending.
  ...your address, daytime phone number, and (if applicable) e-mail
        address.
  ...if you are attending the luncheon; if so, include the recipe for
        the dish you are bringing to share (and where you got the
        recipe, if known).  Prepare enough to serve eight.
  ...any special medical needs for your children.

For each adult, choose between these sessions:  "Interacting on the
Internet" OR "Gluten-Free Asian Foods".  Also, for each adult choose
between these sessions:  "The Mind, Body, Spirit Connection" OR Manual
Bread making.

Call (614) 722-4949 with questions.

                            -=-=-=-=-=-=-

You know you're a celiac if...

   ...the centerpiece on your dining room table is a bread machine.
   ...your bread looks like a moon rock and tastes like dried out Play
         Doh.
   ...your bread weighs more than any moon rock could possibly weigh.
   ...one of your primary goals in life is to create "Fake Oreo
         Cookies".
   ...there are Garage Sale stickers on all your kitchen food
         containers.
   ...you've disinherited loved ones for putting their knife in your
         mayo. --Diane Wright

                            -=-=-=-=-=-=-

A Safe Haven:  The safest place you can be (GF-foodwise) is your own
kitchen.  When you eat out there is always the danger of a little
cross-contamination.  Use your restaurant card to help minimize this
risk.  Give it to your server and ask them to take it to the chef and
find out what they could make that would be gluten-free.

Your own kitchen needs to be a safe haven for you.  Make sure you mark
your own personal GF products and jelly jars, etc., with your name
(especially if you have non-celiac children).  Make it clear that on
no condition should they touch anything with your name on it.  Why be
so adamant?  Well, they can go out and buy anything they need
tomorrow, but celiacs often have to order products specially or visit
out-of-the-way health food and ethnic stores to get your GF products.
So make sure your own kitchen is a safe haven for you.--Mary Guerriero

                            -=-=-=-=-=-=-

Suitable for Faxing:  The following is a variation of our
restaurant card that Denise Parsons prepared.  She will mail or fax
this page to a restaurant in advance so the chef will be prepared to
safely cook for her upon her arrival.  To use it, just fill in your
own name, address, and phone number at the top, then make
copies and send it on its way when you are going to eat out.

 --====--====--====--====--====--====--====--====--====--====--====--

                 FROM:

                 ___________________________________

                 ___________________________________

                 ___________________________________

                 ___________________________________

                 ___________________________________

I HAVE CELIAC DISEASE

I HAVE SEVERE REACTIONS TO FOODS WHICH CONTAIN WHEAT, RYE, BARLEY,
OATS, MILLET, BUCKWHEAT AND THEIR DERIVATIVES.  THESE MAY BE CONTAINED
IN:

   Tenderizers
   Marinades
   Caramel Color
   Dextrins
   Emulsifiers
   Extracts (grain alcohol)
   Flavorings (grain alcohol base)
   Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein
   Malt
   Modified Food Starch
   Vinegar (distilled from grain)
   Soy Sauce

I must also be concerned with food preparation.  If my food comes in
contact with offending grains, it is considered contaminated.

  *  food cooked in the same fryer that is used for breaded foods
  *  meats cooked on the same grill as buns or pancakes
  *  if the grill is used for breaded foods, please use aluminum foil

Breakfast Example:
   Scrambled Eggs (cooked in a clean pan)
   Fruit

Lunch Example:
   Pure Ground Beef Patty (no bun)
              OR
   Unmarinated Chicken Breast
   Plain Salad (no croutons)

Dinner Example:
   Plain Unmarinated Unseasoned Chicken, Fish or Beef
   Baked Potato
   Steamed Vegetables
   Plain Salad (no croutons)
   Red Wine Vinegar and Oil (on the side)