From:
Julianne Karow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2008 11:56:55 -0400

Greetings!

I would like to inform you of a new Wisconsin group and an event for everyone statewide to participate in to raise awareness for Celiac Disease.

My husband, Roy, was diagnosed with Silent Celiac Disease this year.  We had the opportunity to organize an event to bring the Celiac community together to meet one another and have them sample 50 gluten free products from various national and local companies.  At this time we are going to offer a quarterly event with the next one scheduled in August.

With the new life challenges my husband was going to be facing, I decided to make a challenge for myself to show my support for the new path our lives would be taking.  I was a beginner walker, only able to walk 1-2 miles at a time, and decided I should walk a half marathon (13.1 miles) and raise money for the Celiac Disease Foundation.  I joined www.TeamGlutenFree.org where I became a member at no charge and was given a comprehensive training schedule, team shirt/hat, fundraising materials/ideas, nutrition, hydration and clothing advice.  Team Gluten-Free™, a project of the Celiac Disease Foundation, is a non-profit corporation that offers a training program for runners, walkers and cyclists who participate in races across the United States to raise awareness and funds for Celiac Disease. The money raised goes directly to research and awareness programs and camp scholarships for Celiac children.

It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to complete a personal goal and, at the same time, support Celiac Disease research and awareness programs and send Celiac children to camp.  I was able to raise almost $3000 during the 3 months I trained and was able to complete the race that was held last weekend.

The half marathon was held at the Mad City Marathon in Madison, Wisconsin on Memorial Day Weekend.  (www.madisonfestivals.com)  I have spoken with Team Gluten Free to add this event to their calendar of events in 2009.  The event is wonderful because it is not only a full marathon and half marathon, but also offers a 10K, 5K and kiddie race so that everyone has an opportunity to participate.  I would like to organize ALL the Wisconsin Celiac Support Groups and anyone else who would like to join us to unite together for that weekend next year and have the opportunity to support & meet one another, educate the public and to raise money for the Celiac Disease Foundation.

Would you please let your friends, families and others with Celiac Disease, know about this event, have them register online at www.teamglutenfree.org and inform myself of who will be participating.  I encourage everyone to come and experience this weekend as a time to bond with others and challenge yourself to achieve a new personal goal.

http://newsofthenorth.net/article.cfm?articleID=23880

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care,

Regards,

Julianne Karow

Northwoods Celiac Group