From:
Arthur Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arthur Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 14:02:21 -0500

These are the responses recied for my question: Can anyone tell me where I
might buy a GF
 pumpkin Pie either in a local store or by mail?

NO, but I make a mean pie- use the vinagar pie crust from Better Hagman's
revised
edition of "Living Well Without Wheat- the Gluten Free Gourmet". Then use
the
recipe off the can of pumpkin.

My husband made one easily enough.
Just buy some Pamela's GF cookies (health food stores and food co-ops),
crush them, and add a bit of olive oil or melted GF margarine.  Pamela's
Pecan Shortbread work well, or plain shortbread, or lemon shortbread.

Spray a pie pan with GF cooking spray, such as Spectrum olive oil spray.
Then press the cookie crumbs in.
Buy a can of plain cooked pumpkin (just pumpkin and water, or just
pumpkin).
Then use a recipe for the filling part - My husband used a GF condensed
milk, but you could just use GF rice milk or GF soy milk, a little maple
syrup or honey or sugar, some pumpkin pie GF spices, etc, and beaten egg.
Then bake at the standard temperature.  Redi Whip is GF, so you can top
it with that when it cools.

NO, but I make a mean pie- use the vinagar pie crust from Better Hagman's
revised  edition of "Living Well Without Wheat- the Gluten Free Gourmet".
Then use
the  recipe off the can of pumpkin.

Try Kaili's Kitchen at www.wheatlessinseattle.com.  She makes wonderful
GF pumpkin pies (I've also had her peach pie and chicken pot pies,
yumm), as well as LOTS of other stuff (try her biscotti and also
chocolate ginger snaps).  She's local for me, so you'll have to call
(206.440.4147) to find out about shipping, etc., I don't know if a pie
is too fragile to ship?
She also does a pumpkin cheesecake and a pumpkin jelly roll, I haven't
tried the jelly roll, but her cheesecakes are awesome...

Try Panne Rizo out of Canada.  Also, get pre-made crusts from Dietary
Specialties from N.J. and make the Libby's.  Good Luck!!!

Art, you can get one from Natural Feast at celiac.com (gluten free
mall).  I have tried their apple, blueberry and pumpkin pies.  I thought
the apple and blueberry were great.  I did not care for the pumpkin.
 Some Whole Foods carry the pies also.  The Whole Foods near me in
California do not.

You might try www.glutenfreedelights.com
I not sure if they make pumkin but not sure or if they will ship that far we
have tried some of there products and they are very good.

I purchased a pumpkin pie from Panne Rizo Bakery in Vancouver, B.C.  They
are at www.pannerizo.com.  The pie is $6.50 and is fairly small but a more
than I could eat.  And quite tasty.  Their minimum order is $50.00 so if all
you want is the pie (unless you want a lot of it) you should probably look
elsewhere.  They only ship on Wednesday's so you would need to get an order
in by the end of the day today or very early tomorrow.  I live in New Mexico
and have never had any problems with shipping.

I was just at a local support group meeting yesterday and there was a new GF
pie company there with samples.  I believe they have, or plan on having, a
pumpkin pie.  Their other products are really quite good, especially the
apple pie and the cranberry/apple pie!  Their website is:
http://www.naturalfeast.com/index.htm  and they are located here in MA.  I
think they also sell through the Gluten Free Mall, but said that prices were
expensive that way.  They also sell empty pie crusts.  Pumpkin pie is
actually quite easy to make.  I have even made it without a pie crust,
directly in a corning wear pie plate.  Very good, quick, and I love pumpkin
pie!  Good luck.

Does your Whole Foods make GF pies? Ours does here in NC

Just make it yourself ... it is SSSSSSO easy! I make pumpkin custard: just
follow the recipe on the pumpkin can, pour the ingredients into a glass pan;
place the in a 1/2 inch or so water bath pan, stick the whole thing into the
oven and cook per directions. It'll be perfect! Crust-free, but great
pumpkin begging for whipped cream on top!

I made my standard pumpkin pie recipe using a crust made of ground GF
gingerbread crumbs  -- follow the procedure for graham cracker crusts.
It was terrific!

I also baked the pumpkin pie filling in custard cups, and baked them
like a custard -- in a cake pan filled with water. But if I ever to
that again, I will make sure there's some gingerbread crumbs in the
bottom of the cup, since that crust was great

Art