From:
Katriina Mdkinen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 1995 19:32:01 +0200

Hello everybody, this Sweden calling again!

I have seen my dietist now and this is what she told me:

First of all I got a list of things I should avoid and also a list of
products which are safe. The she explained me how to read the labels, for
instance that all the E-numbers are safe (here in Sweden anyway), modified
starch is safe if it doesn't say made of wheat (if it is made of wheat
the food manufactorers have to mention it on the label), and surprise
surprise beer is considered GF here in Sweden as is Whisky, vodka etc
Another surprise was wheat starch which is used in GF flour mixes, it is
safe because they sort of "wash away" all the gluten. Then I got to taste
different flours and flour mixes and soya-youghurt! which tasted
delicious.

The biggest surprise was that there are 2 stores here in Stockholm that
only sell GF and low lactose products. I got there catalogue and they seem
to have everything a celiac ever dreams of! Guess who is going to do some
shopping soon!

She also had copies of Swedish Celiac societys magazines, they have also
made restaurant cards in many different languages. They have different
cards depending if you only have CD, or CD + lactose intolerance, or soya
allergy etc. I joined them yesterday, so I haven't got any info yet, but
I'll keep you informed.

BTW she told also that 1 of 250 people have CD here in Sweden, no wonder
it is so easy to find GF products here. And an intense reseach is going on
all the time to find a cure (other than the diet). Talking of which, every
product claiming to be GF is ca refully tested here in Sweden.

Katriina                           [log in to unmask]

"Living a wonderful GF life in Stockholm, Sweden"