From:
Richard Reed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 23:12:52 -0500

Regarding the experience mentioned below whereby the Chebe Bread baker did
not get the bread to rise, this would be the experience of anyone if the
expectation were that of standard bread.  But remember, Chebe Bread contains
no yeast.  (Therefore, you can put it straight into the oven after mixing
and forming the dough balls... no need to wait.)

The small amount of rise that does take place is caused by one of the grades
of manioc starch found in the ingredients called "polvilho azedo" in
Portuguese, or "sour" manioc starch.  The egg also helps.

I would encourage the other user, or anyone else who has tried it without
favorable results, to experiment by adding other flavors to the dough, using
different cheeses, extending cook times, etc. before giving up on Chebe
Bread.  On the other hand, to each his own.

It is an interesting point that Chebe Bread was not developed for the gluten
sensitive diet.  Chebe Bread, or "pao de queijo" as it is known in Brazil,
has been a staple for many years.  Manioc, the plant from which is derived
manioc starch (a.k.a. tapioca flour) is tropical.  As Brazil is largely
tropical, this plant grows in abundance, where wheat has a hard time.

This bread is consumed from North to South in Brazil.  You will find it in
airports, street-side cafes and bakeries, and in the finest restaurants.  It
is a fortunate coincidence that it is also free of grain flour.

If anyone is interested in learning more about manioc, I encourage you to do
a search on the internet.  It is used in many foods and is even prepared
"non-processed" where it is steamed or fried.  Some  specialty markets in
the USA have been known to carry it.  (Other names for manioc are: mandioca,
cassava, and yucca.)

Our next shipment will soon be ready for delivery.  We expect to start
filling orders by the end of the month.  Thank you all for your support.

Sincerely,

Dick Reed
Prima Provisions Co.