From:
Jim Vlachos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Vlachos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jul 2009 18:05:23 -0400

A summary of the 20-or-so responses to my inquiry regarding L-glutamine for
gastrointestinal repair of damage due to celiac and gluten intolerance:

1) Many people take L-glutamine both occasionally to aid recovery from
accidental "glutening" and regularly as a preventative/strengthening agent
to help maintain GI tract health.  Doses range from 500mg per day regularly
to 10 grams once a day for several days after a "gluten attack".

2) Many respondents say they take L-glutamine in conjunction with a
probiotic.

3) Two or three people said that their doctors had prescribed L-glutamine
and/or had told them that L-glutamine is perfectly safe to take.

4) One response indicated that some producers derive part of their glutamine
from wheat, and that some brands have caused "gluten symptoms" in the past,
so it's important to confirm that a particular producer's L-glutamine is
gluten-free and not wheat-derived.

For what it's worth, I took 5 grams of L-glutamine powder yesterday
(Saturday) afternoon, and 10 more grams at night about an hour before bed
(mixed with water both times).  I woke up this morning without much in the
way of stomach problems.  That rarely happens, even when I don't eat after
7pm (as was the case last night).  Keep in mind that those are the results
of a double-sighted, zero-control study, and placebo effect cannot be ruled
out.  ;)  But that won't stop me from taking 10 grams before bed tonight and
tomorrow too.  :-)

Thanks everyone for your input!

- Jim V.