From:
Kratzmeier Family <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kratzmeier Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2007 10:20:11 -0400

I guess when I posted my original request, I wasn't clear enough.  Snack foods are good but what I was after was more along the lines of actual MEALS for a WEEK long backpack/hiking trip that my son is taking with his Boy Scout Troop.  I don't think that he will be happy living off snack bars all week -- but then again, maybe so!  If anyone has more ideas for meals, please forward them to me.

see my blog entry for a description of what foods we brought on a recent backpacking trip. http://glutenfreediscoveries.blogspot.com/2007/04/backpacking.html

Nana's GF Cookie Bars, EnviroKids Rice Crispy bar, peanuts or other nuts for protein, small packages of pretzels; dried fruit or fruit snacks, raisins, Bakery on Main Granola Mixes, and Glutano Cookie O's .  There are also snack crackers by Glutano in individual packages.

Try Lara bars (most are listed gluten free) and I believe another bar is called "Think Green" or "Think
Thin." Those might be flavor names, not the brand.

If you have a Wholefoods or good natural foods store around, there are lots of bars that are gf.

 Maybe V-8 and other fruit/veggie juices. The plain tuna packaged in aluminum  bags can be eaten out of the bag.  You could bring hot sauce or something to add.

I don't have a list but Enjoy Life Foods has many products that would be suitable for Back Packing.  I particularly like their GF granola cereal and their snack bars.  I also subscribe to Backpacker and Backpacking Light magazines and they often give good information on how to prepare and dehydrate many types of meals for the trail.  The latest issue of Backpacker has just such an article!

Peanut butter in tubes with crackers.

 Atkins has several high protein(19 grams), low sugar(1 gram) bars

Alp Snacks, www.alpsnack.com.

What about making up your own trail mix with dried fruit and nuts? Beef jerky? Sausage bites? String mozzarella?

Tiger Milk Bars,,,peanut butter and honey peanut butter are GF,,NOT the crispy rice!

Pure Fit Bars are wonderful!!!!!

Jackson Whole Bars,,,,from Wyoming,,,,they are the most 'nutritious',,,and a little 'spendy',,,,but FANTASTIC! www.jacksonwholebars.com

Original Tom-Toms Snack Sticks

Take a look at this site:    http://crunchiesfood.com/