From:
Robert Newton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 1995 13:51:03 -0400

When is it too late for a celiac blood test?

Three months ago in a self-help health attempt we put my mom on a rotation
diet to uncover food addictions from among her frequently eaten foods.
After eliminating irritants she is now better but thinner on a non-gluten,
non-milk, non-a lot of other stuff diet.  We have learned more about food
families and hidden ingredients and in a shorter time than we ever wanted
to.  But we are getting into the swing of it.  (It is only the addictive
form of the allergy that is new to us.  Our family has had much experience
with the reactive type of allergy from hayfever to food to contact
dermititis to sunlight photosensitivity.)

Now we understand from this group that the situation is more serious than
simply allergies.

Is gluten testing worthwhile at this stage?  How can it show anything since
she has stopped eating gluten, aside from some setbacks?  We want to make
an informed request to her doctor, not just ask to start a round of tests.

Martha and Bob
Los Angeles