From:
Sue Foss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2009 09:30:20 -0800

Thank you to all who responded to my inquiry re the above. Please see
the responses below:

Attached is a good fact sheet from the Univ. of Chicago CD Center
about proper testing for CD.

---------------
Please see the antibody test factsheet on our website...

http://www.celiacdisease.net/factsheets

It is best to test having never eliminated gluten from your
diet,however, if you have been gluten free, depending on the length
of time,6-8 weeks of at least one serving a day should be sufficient
to raise antibody levels.  Please know that, resuming ingestion of
gluten should be done under the care of a doctor who is knowledgeable
about celiac disease.
----------------
There is a CD profile which is a number of blood tests (from one
drawing) with the main ones as I recall are ttg and ema. Normally the
ttg is 0-3, mine was 111. Now if you are on a gluten-free diet these
test will be negative within two weeks to a month. likewise the small
intestine biopsy, which is not really necessary and is only 70%
accurate.
---------------
*Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing on www.celiac.com

*Print the FAQ sheet from www.celiacdisease.net to take to the doctor
for b=
ack up reasons to test

Genetic testing at Enterolab
------------
Check www.theglutensyndrome.net
----------------
Here is what is recommended by Dr. Fasano http://www.celiaccenter.org/
celiac/faq.asp

As far as a gluten challenge, no one really knows how much other
than, eat a lot of it. One doctor I know recommends a slice of bread
or its equivalent at every meal. How long? Again no one really knows.
Some people will get damage quickly and for others, it may take years.
Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTg) is what Dr. Fasano is suggesting.
To have the test done you have to be on gluten for an average of 3
months; with eating the equalant of 1 slice of bread daily (another
person says 2 pieces for same time period).