From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 20:05:52 -0500

1.My basic potato kugel recipe
Approximate recipe (You don't really have to have the measurements exact...as long as you end up with a thick batter.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Some potatoes have more water in them. I prefer baking potatoes or Idaho's, but if you end up with a lot of liquid when you grate up the potatoes and onion, strain some off, so you end up with a thick "batter."
Peel 4-5 medium to large potatoes
Peel and dice one large onion
1 large egg
salt, pepper...based on how salty and how peppery you like things.
Sometimes I add a tablespoon of baking powder, but it's not required.
I use a blender to finely grate the potatoes and onion, add the egg and make a thick, slightly chunky batter. You can use a food processor or even hand grate.
Pour into a greased 8 inch baking dish or pie plate. Bake about an hour at 350 degrees or until golden brown.
You can also make individual kugels by putting the batter in a greased muffin tin. May cook faster.
These kugels freeze well. My recipe is generally for 4-5 people.

2. Another recipe I have (but never made) calls for
6 medium (2  1/2 lbs) potatoes
1 large onion
1 large carrot
2 tablespoons potato starch
2 beaten eggs, 1/4 cup oil and
1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
All ingredients are grated or grinded into a thick batter and baked in a well-greased 1 1/2 quart baking pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 1 and 1/4 hours or until golden brown. Serves 10. (sounds like very small servings!)

3. Mini mashed potato kugels
Use leftover boiled potatoes (boiled tastes better than baked) or cook several (4-5) peeled and cut up potatoes until done. Mash with salt and pepper.
Saute 1 large, diced onion in hot oil until brown, then mix in the potatoes. O.K. to get some of the oil in it for flavor...not too much or the potatoes will get runny.
Stir in one large beaten egg....just smooths out the "batter.
Put potato mixture in greased muffin tins. I prefer to leave peaks instead of pressing it all down. Bake at 350 until the peaks are golden brown.

4. Dairy potato kugels...also mini's. This is my mother-in-law's recipe, and she really doesn't have amounts. Base it on how many people you're serving.  (1 egg to 4-5 med-large potatoes).
Using boiled potatoes, mash down, with salt and pepper. Add a large beaten egg to potatoes. Using a greased muffin tin, put a generous spoonful of potato mix in each muffin area, and press down. Make a little hollow in middle of each "muffin". Fill with a generous teaspoon of cottage cheese. Cover with additional potato mixture. Bake at 350 until tops are lighly browned.

*******
*******