From:
A & L Sherlock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 14:48:30 -0500

Here is what people had to say about their reactions to flavorings.  This
diet really is not an exact science, is it?

Lorna

I have no problems whatsoever with flavorings and don't worry about them at
all.
Yes, I got a reaction to so-called flavourings before. Especially when for
whatever reason I fail to check or they changed the ingredients. It's mostly
chocolate 'natural flavourings' that make me sick, nowadays I rarely eat any
chocolate (I have to severely limit sucrose intake too) but when I suddenly
have an urge sometimes I don't check and then I have a reaction. I don't eat
meat, so I don't know the situation there.

I also avoid malt, maltodextrin, dextrose, maltitol and dextrins like mad.
Wheat starch the same. I was told it doesn't have any gluten in it, and I
still just react. It's still worth it not to have bad reactions as I don't
just have diarrhoea but hallucinate too and have mood swings, fatigue and
mental fog for days after the 'attack'. One can't be too cautious it seems!
My daughter and I both have quick reactions to gluten ingestion .. and NO
problems with flavorings ... so long as it is not malt flavor which comes
from barley
I never believed that stuff about flavorings from the start of my diet 7
years ago, so I've ignored the flavorings in what I eat. The only reason the
natural flavorings are forbidden is because they  think the alcohol vehicle
it is carried in will have gluten in it if it comes from grain alcohol. I
have had enough science background to know that was bogus from the start.
I get a lulu of a reaction if I ingest any gluten at all, but I've never
ever had any reaction that was because of the natural flavorings. Of
course, if the flavoring were something we are supposed to avoid I wouldn't
eat it. For instance, I certainly wouldn't eat anything with rye or wheat
flavoring :) but I also avoid things like caramel flavoring etc., that
might be hinky. And I know enough and am careful enough now that I rarely
have a gluten accident
I cannot say anything definitive, except these MAY contain gluten. This was
brought home to me by a friend who was doing consulting work for a large
commerciall food processor. As she toured the plant, she was brought into
the area where they were adding ingredients to liquid. As she watched 500
pounds of "pure wheat gluten" being added to this vat, she asked what was
being made. The answer: "NATURAL FLAVORING
The only flavoring that I am aware of that caused problems for me is real
vanilla.  My mom made me some icecream and she used 3 tablespoons of real
vanilla.  I was sick for 3 days with bathroom runs.
My son and I both have CD. We react differently.I always check with
the manufacturer when in doubt.TCBY yogurt is a good example.Some of their
flavorings are not GF and boy could I tell.I don't assume the manufacturer
understands what GF means, I ask lots of questions.My conversation with TCBY
confirmed that they do not have a regular source for all ingredients.
I have been using distilled vinegars, grain based spirits, liqueurs and
schnapps for awhile now, and I don't pay much attention to flavorings and
colorings, natural or artificial in spirits or processed foods, with the
exception of  processed meats. I am happy to report that I have not had any
reactions.

Of course there are those of you who would say: "Well your just not that
sensitive. "Sensitivity refers to reactions one gets from ingesting gluten.
Damage to the intestine may occur whether or not one has a "reaction". Being
just a little sensitive to gluten (as far as its effect on the intestine) is
like being a little pregnant. You either are or you aren't.

I had an upper endoscopy and small bowel interoscopy last week. My intestine
is picture perfect and the biopsies are negative. This after six years of
the gluten free diet as I practice it.