From:
richabec <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2007 14:34:14 -0500

I received an overwhelmingly positive response to my question about Hidden
Valley Ranch dressing products.  There were a few cautions about the fact
that it does contain MSG which many people avoid if possible.  I received
one reminder that a simple oil and vinegar dressing is the most trustworthy
option.  I agree with that but sometimes you just gotta have Ranch!  I have
included actual replies below this note.

Thanks to all of you for your helpful answers.  It is wonderful to be able
to get real life validation for some of the questions that come up in this
gf adventure we live.

Have a great day!

Becky in Texas

-----

I haven't tried the dry mix but I now eat the bottled dressing without
incident so I believe that it is gluten free.

   Yes, I have been using their dry & bottled ranch Dressing for years and I
am very sensitive. If you go to Sam's, they have a large container of the
dry mix available. It's good to use for seasoning in a breading mix or in
mashed potatoes. Enjoy!

    I agree that it is a CYA situation.

Becky, I have been using it all along, and my mom is very meticulous about
researching and not letting my dad and me get something that will hurt us.

My daughter uses it all the time and is fine. Food companies just hate to
make blanket statements since they then have liability.

I felt certain that their past statement was a CYA statement so on occasion
I used the dressing (at someone's home or out) with no ill effects. I don't
care to purchase it unless it no longer contains MSG which I can't tolerate
well now but I feel that it's gluten free.

My experience has been that even if there is no gluten they still use MSG in
their products and it causes symptoms that are just as bad at least for me
so I stay away from it, maybe it is the MSG that bothers you as well?? Just
a thought.

We were thrilled to add it back to our menu too after recently hearing it
was okay as well.  My celiac son eats lots of it with no problems.  We use
the dry dressing mix and use Best Foods Mayo or Kraft and milk.  I love this
stuff and could eat it on everything - there seems to be no acceptable
substitute for the flavor!

Enjoy!

Also, HV Ranch is available in little travel containers so you can keep them
with you for salad emergencies - where they can't verify the dressing for
you. I think Walmart carries them. I don't shop at Walmart but my Mother
told me that's the only places she's found them. She has eaten the product
without issue and she's super sensitive. I use the Organic Valley packets
for dips and it's the best I've ever had. I get them at Whole Foods - also
their taco seasoning is fab.

I went back to using the dry about a year ago after many attempts on my part
to make home made. No problems so far. Every box I buy I read the lable just
to make sure it hasn't changed.

our daughter (17)has put that dressing back in her diet (celiac since a
child). she has no ill effects from it. i tried it yesterday (celiac 15+yrs)
and i am fine. i don't want to  say to 'trust' them, but we have had no
problems with hidden valley ranch....and are really really happy!  snap peas
and veggies  :)

I have used it all along with no problem.  They were just protecting
themselves.  With the new law, if it has gluten in it from wheat, it MUST be
on the label.  Barley and rye are not required but would probably never be
used in salad dressings

We have 5 celiacs here and we all use Hidden Valley Ranch without a problem.
I am very sensitive and usually react to even small amounts of gluten.

Anything that says "natural flavoring" could be something with gluten or
wheat. This is a big problem with labeling. It could be MSG too and you
would not know it.

It works for me.  I bought some of the bottled dressing today

Things have definitely changed since the new labeling law went into effect
this past January.  If ANY of the top 8 allergens are in a product, it will
be clearly labled on that product.  Distilled vinegar is not an issue any
more and many companies are still hesitant about saying their dressing are
ok because of that, but they shouldn't be.  It's myth from the past.

I had the same exact experience.  I stopped buying Hidden Valley Ranch
because I thought it wasn't gluten free, then started to read about Celiacs
who were eating it.  We started eating it again about six months ago and
haven't had any problems since.  Good luck!

Yes, we are currently using the Hidden Valley Ranch dressing without any
problems!  It's so wonderful to be able to have this product again!

You called year after year until you reached someone who told you what you
wanted to hear.  You would be better off spending the time making your own
dressing from scratch. Look for recipes for buttermilk or yogurt dressing,
and you will find something similar.

AFAIK the new rules say anything less than two percent need *not* be on the
label.  This makes the ingredients list unreliable.  "Gluten free" on the
label is better, but there is no legal definition for what that means in the
USA yet.  Some gluten free products are not, in fact, gluten free.

The gluten does not have to come from an ingredient.  There is also cross
contamination in handling and packaging.  This can vary batch by batch

I  avoid Hidden Valley because I have had a reaction to it within the last
five years.  Initially I thought it was OK, but when I began using it on
very large salads or more than once a week the reaction was unmistakable and
repeatable.  YMMV.

I urge you to consider the classic recipe for salad that originally appeared
on the old TV series Paladin:

  It takes three people to make a good salad.  A miser for the

  vinegar, a spendthrift for the oil, and a fiend to shake it all up.

Use high quality oil; add salt and spices to taste.  Once you have mastered
this, you will not miss packaged salad dressing.