Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:00:38 EDT

HI to the List,

   A  few days ago I went to a local restaurant which wasn't particularly
amenable to me or my dietary needs. (True, I should have called them up in
advance and told them I was going to be coming).

    Anyway, I brought my wheat-free soy sauce with me and I asked the manager
of the restaurant if the chef could cook me up a dish with my own soy sauce.
He mentioned to me that it's illegal to do so. I dropped the issue, but
wondered about it anyway.

    From what I understand, some states do NOT let Celiacs bring their own gf
foods in to restaurants to be cooked.

   I just got off with the NJ StateDept of Health earlier today down in
Trenton,and I was informed that in the State of NJ, people are able to bring in
their own foods for special dietary needs. The gentleman at the state told me
that the state recognizes the fact that allergies/food
intolerances/life-threatening allergies is a very current,valid issue and that itshould be recognized by
restaurants.

   I just wanted to share the good news with my fellow New Jerseyan Celiacs.

   Amy Kravitz [log in to unmask]