Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 12:40:58 -0700

Since there seems to be so much arthritis among celiacs, I thought I'd send
this to the list.

Sue mentioned that she takes glucosamine/chondroitin (G/S) for her "knees,"
arthritis I'd guess.  There is also a new supplement out now that has been
all over the news and twice in Newsweek that you can take in addition to
the other, and it seems to work even better, and like G/C it tends to help
the joints over a period of time. The G/C helped my severe arthritis maybe
seventy percent, and I have it bad. But I'd tell you that the stuff I got
from the health food store didn't help at all, for me. I tried two of them.
Then my doc, who is pretty sharp, told me to buy Cosamine DS, which is
prescription purity G/C, and it worked like a charm. Seems that much of the
stuff you buy in the  health food store is not regulated and some it
actually has NO G or C in it. Many brands don't have nearly as much as they
advertise. Anyway, I got maybe 70 percent relief from that.

Then I started the new supplement, over the counter from the drug store,
called: SAM-e, pronounced Sammy. Between the two of them I now seem to have
no arthritic symptoms, and mine was bad; my neck was to the state that I
had cervical spondylitis = arthritic burs on the vertebrae that wear on the
nerves, especially to the hands, so that my right thumb and forefinger were
numb, and I had pain in my left hand too. Mostly gone now. Sammy is also
expense. About 2.70 per day. But I figure that's just the price of a Latte
per day [I'm from Wa state] :) Now I don't drink the latte.

SAM-e is also, according to many psychiatrists in Europe, the best pill in
their arsenal for simple depression. IMPORTANT: bipolars should never take
this. It's been used for decades in Europe. It's also supposed to be the
best thing to repair liver damage. I know it sounds like a suspicious
panacea, but I've read a lot about it and so far have discovered no
caveats. The only side effects seem to be that it caused some drowsiness in
a few rare patients, and one more thing, but I don't rememeber right now. I
seemed inconsequential so I didn't make a point of remembering it. I
probably haven't forgotten it, just can't retrieve it :)  -vance