From:
Kit Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kit Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 06:26:06 -0800

Re Lisa's post on Celestial Seasoning tea:

I just called the number Lisa posted and talked
to a woman named Ann in customer service.  I
asked her five or six times about whether the tea
bags had glue and if it was gluten free.  She
read the statement to me over and over again that
the bags were made of a heat seal fiber.  I kept
saying, so it DOES have glue, or DOESN'T have
glue.  She was very evasive and finally admitted
she didn't know and would contact research and
development.

She got pretty snippy with me, understandably,
because I finally had to interrupt her to tell
her that as a listmember I couldn't post
something was gluten free if the full contents of
the digested product was unknown.  After hearing
the heat sealed paper line AGAIN and their
position that their product was gluten free
AGAIN, I explained to her that a molecule of
gluten is enough to get us sick, and that people
lose jobs and have a greater cancer risk when
they consume it.  I told her that she shouldn't
say something is gluten free if they don't know
for a fact that it is, and that I wanted a
statement in writing guaranteeing the gluten free
status before I could recommend it.
She took my full name (although wouldn't give me
hers) and address and phone number.
I would urge anyone interested (I have a cup of
tea brewing beside me now that I am afraid to
drink!) to contact the company and offer their
views on this wishy washy answer.
See Lisa's communication repeated below, and
thanks Lisa, for bringing this up.
Kit Kellison
--- Lisa Roessler <[log in to unmask]>