From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 00:00:22 -0500

At 03:40 AM 2/23/96 UT, Danna Korn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hope it's not a dumb question, but is casein something to avoid with Celiac
>Disease?

Good question. I have wondered about it myself. If you read the Reichelt
articles (see http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/reichelt.html or ask me to send)
he talks about how similar it is to gluten. To answer the question I have
decided to get myself tested for casein antibodies. I had planned to wait
until I had the results to tell the list, but since Danna asked...

I am following the procedure that is used on the autism list. Dr. Cade's
office is no longer doing the testing for peptides in the urine. They feel
that the IgA antibody tests done by Alletess Medical are sufficient. One
starts by calling Malcolm Privette of Dr. Cade's office at (904) 392-8952.
He is at the University of Florida at Gainesville. Then you call Alletess at
800-224-5404 (or 617-871-4426) and have them send you the shipping materials
and instructions. It will cost you $64, plus you have to pay for the
overnight shipping back to them. Two tests will be done, IgA Casein and IgA
Gluten. They call it their psychiatric profile. The results will be sent to
Dr. Cade's office and you have to call them about two weeks after the blood
is sent out to get the results.

I have scheduled an appointment next week to have the 7cc of blood drawn.
That will cost me my HMO copay. It then has to sit at room temperature for a
while, then be spun in a centrifuge, then kept in the refrigerator until it
is given to the overnight carrier. It need not be frozen, but that may not
be true if you live in a hot place and the overnight carrier's trucks and
warehouses are warm.

What do I expect? I expect I will be positive. I went on a low casein diet
for a while, then increased it in the past few weeks. I think irritability
is related to casein. I also suspect my acne is related. We'll see...

Don Wiss (in NYC).