From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 22:08:40 -0700

<[log in to unmask]> (sorry, you didn't include your name) wrote:

>I have read that eating aprrox 100th piece of wheat bread a day might
>precipitate a gluten-reaction for a celiac, and, somewhere else, that
>a few molecules of gluten might do the same. Which is correct?

There is no definitive answer to this question, however there is a long
file covering the cel-pro experts' discussion of the issue.  It is
can be retreived by sending an email to
[log in to unmask] with the body GET CELIAC MXGLUTEN

One study did show troubling changes in the intestines of some celiacs
on 100 milligrams of gluten per day.  This is equivalent to one-500th
of a slice of bread.  Most of the cel-pro experts felt comfortable that
10 milligrams per day would be OK, but this was based on incidental
observations rather than a controlled study.  Ten milligrams would be
many orders of magnitude more than "a few molecules".

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles