From:
Marcia Haffmans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 14:07:46 -0600

Does anybody have suggestions about eating GF in Mexico?  We will be
traveling to Akumal (60 miles south of Cancun), where we are staying in
a vacation home.  We plan to prepare our own meals.  With three small
children we prefer to cook ourselves and are just not sure what sort of
(children friendly) GF meals we might be able to prepare.  I know that
we can purchase and prepare cornbread, corn tortillas, meats, fish,
cheeses, rice dishes, fruits and vegetables.

I am wondering if anybody has experienced cooking a GF meal in Mexico
and if you would have any suggestions or recommendations.  Prior to our
daughter's diagnosis we have been to Akumal and remember that the
selection in the stores there is fairly limited.  At the time we
obviously never specifically looked for GF products.

I understand that there is a health food store in Cancun, but do not
have an address.  Also, maybe you might know of a health food department
in a larger grocery store in Cancun.  Since we fly into Cancun we could
always purchase GF products there and bring them to our final
destination.  Do you have any suggestions for GF cereals that we might
be able to purchase locally?   Or maybe you have ideas for other
breakfast items that we might serve aside from fruit?

Do you have any experience about taking GF products from the US to
Mexico?   What may we bring?

FYI, I do have a Spanish translation of the CSA/USA restaurant card.

Thank you.  We greatly appreciate any feedback.