From:
Samantha Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Samantha Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 06:17:01 -0800

A fellow list member had posted:

Recently I ordered "The Gluten/Wheat Free Guide
> to Eating Out" and was
> thrilled to see that Pizza Hut's Buffalo Wings
> and Ranch Dressing were
> safe to eat.  I ate them and am having a
> moderately uncomfortable reaction
> and am so disappointed. Has anyone else had the
> same experience?

I also ordered the book and was greatly
disappointed.  Basic things were excluded.  For
example, under Outback is says you can have the
shrimp appetizer, but it doesn't mention to tell
your server - NO TOAST.  Even Outback has it
clearly identified on their gf menu.  The book,
like anything else that claims to be gf, is only
a guide.  You still have to do the leg work
yourself.  An example of this is Subways gf list
(this was quite a while ago and may have since
changed) - when I called the manufacturer  of the
salad dressing (which is on the gf list), they
don't make any claims to be gf.  Not just because
they are afraid to make a guarantee, but because
they change their suppliers ALL the time and
can't be sure what is in the product (at least at
the time I called).  I ordered the book thinking
I could just go out to eat and order something
from the book and be safe.  It is never that
simple.  I also belonged to a group that claimed
I could eat the fries at a certain chain, as long
as they used a dedicated fryer.  This chain had a
gf menu, the fries were never on the gf list, but
this outside group was certain it was safe.  I
would eat the fries on occasion and ALWAYS get
sick - I stopped eating them some time ago (but I
do miss them).  This weekend (a couple years
later) I found out that there is a "bit" of wheat
flour in the fries seasoning and has always been
(according to the server who seemed quite
knowledgeable).