From:
Pamela Mort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 12:52:53 +1000

I  asked about keeping gf bread moist and if honey was a suitable
ingredient to achieve this -Thank you to all who replied- many many
helpful suggestions and ideas as follows:

INGREDIENTS

Honey should work fine.  In wheat breads, you simply reduce the liquid
used by the amount of honey that replaces the sugar.  I imagine the same
method would work in gf baking and the reason you see more sugar than
honey called for is that our bread doughs tend to be floppy already.  So
just watch the moisture and you should be fine.  Good luck.

I have had GREAT success with Bette Hagmans cookbooks for making bread. Many
recipes include honey as an ingredient.  Maybe you need to get the cookbooks.
Try Amazon.com.

I just tried a recipe from Bette Hagman's book The Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks
Fast & Healthy for cinnamon raisin nut bread.  The recipe contains two
tablespoons of honey.

Yes, you can use honey in your bread. Use the same amount that is called for
sugar. You might want to reduce the liquid just a little bit. Just watch it
and find out what the right amount is. Honey works beautifully in all baked
goods.

Honey can be used to replace the sugar in bread but you may need to adjust
your added liquids some and lower the oven temp a little.  No GF breads have
much stay power unless frozen because of the lack of preservatives and
relatively little fat.  You may find it better to cool, slice and freeze
right away what you don't use and nuke the slices as you need them ion the
microwave fro 10 sec.

You can substitute honey for sugar (or other sweetener, since that is
what it is) and reduce the amount of liquids.  I don't remember what the
conversion is, but it takes less honey that white sugar to produce the
same "sweetness"

Hi!  I've used honey in muffins, pancakes, cookies, bread, whatever, in
the place of sugar sometimes (if amount of sugar needed is small), or
sometimes I've put a large squeeze in with all of the other
ingredients.  I wouldn't use more than 2-3 TBLS though, unless it's
called for in the ingredients. It adds a bit of sweetness, but I'm not
sure if it will keep bread moist any longer than usual. (My bread
doesn't stay nice for more than two days, too.)

This is a bread recipe I received after being diagnosed with CD.
After I make it, I put it in a ziplock bag and put this in the refrigerator.
This seems to help keep the bread moist.  Either this or it'the recipe:

1 pkg dry yeast
1 cup brown rice flour
2 cups white rice flour
3 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup melted margarine or butter
1 3/4 cups of milk
2 large eggs, beaten.

This is a recipe for bread machines.  Place the ingredients in the order
listed.  Good luck!

STORING

Here's something we learned along the way. After your bread is cooled ( I am
making the assumption you baked it), slice it up, wrap in aluminum foil and
freeze. My mom will put about 4 slices in a package and take it out as
needed. Keeps it fresh, doesn't take long to thaw and no problems like you
described.

Perhaps refrigerating your bread would
work to keep it more moist and not dry out as quickly.  I've heard people
say that they freeze their bread also.

I bake a lot of different breads and keep them in individual bags (per
slice) in the freezer.  This means that I can devote a whole day to baking
and then store enough in the freezer to last me for weeks.  I force as much
air out of the bags as possible when I zip them shut and this gets rid of
most of the air.  I have found that there is no deterioration at all with
frozen bread and I have kept some of it for months at a time.

I slice fresh bread and freeze most of it as soon as it cools.  Then thaw it
in the toaster for a nice fresh toast. This is also true of all gf baking -
so my freezer is usually busy.

Whenever I make bread, cake, cookies, brownies, etc., I slice them, put
them on cookie sheets in the freezer then wrap, put in Baggies, foil,
containers, etc., and freeze them.  I have found that even to keep them out
of the freezer for one day will make them dry and crumbly.

After my bread cools, I slice it and then wrap each slice in plastic wrap.  I
then place these slices in a larger plastic bag, seal it and place it in the
freezer.  When I need a silce or two of bread, I take it out and unwrap it
and place it in the toaster.  You can also zap it in the microwave or just
leave it out until it thaws.

REVIVING DRY BREAD

I've found that giving 3 or more day old bread a quick zap in the
microwave softens and moistens it up.

THANKS AGAIN!
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A JOYFUL HOILDAY TO EVERYONE
PAM