From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 14:23:57 -0700

[my summary continues,& as usual, my obnoxious comments in brackets . . .
Valerie in Tacoma.]
     The endocrinologist I saw said these drugs are effective in keeping
bone loss where it is for perhaps 5 years or so and then our bones would
begin to deteriorate further.  Yet he did not like it that I did not
continue to take his drugs.
     I did read an article some time ago that said the drugs killed off part
of the bone.  This material was deposited so that when a bone density scan
was read it looked like the bone was stronger and more dense.   Medical
articles do not even mention this as a possiblity.
     I believe as far as bone loss is concerned among celiacs, our bone mass
will come back once we start to eat healthy again.  Healthy is not just
eating gluten free it means also balancing the alkaline and acid foods in
our diet.  It is the highly acid foods that break down bones too and  we
need to eat enough alkaline foods and perhaps fewer highly acidic  foods.
Stay off the toxic drugs.
www.betterbones.com Betty
==========
In a few weeks I am going to see an endocrinologist that is an osteoporosis
researcher and an expert in his field.  I would like to ask him about this.
I had eye lid problems for two years, a chalazion and then blepharitis.
When I stopped taking fosamax the problems stopped.  I had read that fosamax
can cause serious eye problems.  The eye problems can be blurred vision,
pain and swelling, and even blindness.  I had pain, swelling and sometimes
slight blurred vision. I found this on
http://www.mercola.com  Selma

[I would NOT regard an osteoporosis researcher as an expert in his field if
he's getting paid by the makers of Fosamax and Actonel.  That's an obvious
conflict of interest.  I'd be more apt to trust the medical advise of a
physician (such as Mercola) who has no financial ties to the industry.
Please be aware that drug manufactures offer incentives in the form of free
educational conventions, luncheons, dinners, drug samples, etc. for
physicians to prescribe their drugs.  I used to work for a rheumatologist
who did drug research.  The drug makers flew him & his staff all over the
country for luxuriously catered fancy educational conventions including
accommadations at four star hotels, etc.]
========
The interesting thing about these meds is they've only been proven to cause
an increase in bone density as shown on scans.  It's never been proven to
significantly reduce the incidence of bone fractures in the elderly.  It's
only presumed that a higher bone density will prevent fractures.  But it's
not proven.  So until I see evidence that I'll be safer & healthier from
taking these drugs, I'll continue to refuse them and stick to safer more
time honored approaches to improving bone health.
========
I checked this with my husband who is an oncologist. According to him this
is a side effect he is aware of, but it is rare and happens most commonly
with his patients--those who have cancer and because of the side effects of
other drugs  (which are keeping them alive) must get infusions of the
osteoporosis drugs monthly. Thought I would share his thoughts to add to the
mix of your thinking on this.  Helen