From:
Connie Sarros <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sarros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 2011 16:34:09 -0400

The responses keep arriving regarding the corn-free status of xanthan gum.
Three people were very upset that the gum could be classified as corn-free
because, as one woman stated, "The extremely allergic and sensitive report
reactions beyond what scientists can test for."  Like the proposed standard
for gluten of 20 ppm, for many celiacs this amount of gluten is harmless;
but for the extremely sensitive, 20 ppm can cause undesirable reactions.
The same holds true for corn allergies – some people have a higher tolerance
than others.  One person stated that a family member suffered
near-anaphylactic shock from ingesting a minute amount of corn residue.
Purchasing corn-free products becomes even more daunting because corn is not
one of the top allergens so companies are not required to identify it as an
allergen on labels.

One person commented:  "If people are reacting to xanthan, it could be that
it's a fermented product and they are reacting to the byproducts from the
bacteria.  I did a quick peek at Wikipedia and it seems that... whey, a
byproduct from cheese production, can also be used as the sugar to produce
xanthan."

Here is the reply I received from NOW Foods:  "Xanthan gum is USA sourced.
Though not tested it is considered gluten free."  They state that the growth
medium used contains soy bean protein, corn starch, calcium carbonate, and
yeast.  They added, "Despite this fermentation base, our supplier indicates
the product to be corn free in their allergen statement to us."

Bob's Red Mill replied:  "Thank you for your inquiry. Our Xanthan Gum isn't
considered corn free, as the manufacturer uses corn in processing. This item
is produced in both Austria and France."

Essential Depot said their xanthan gum is processed from corn and is not
corn-free (though it is gluten-free).

TIC Gums, makers of Ticaxen Xanthan Gum, called me back.  Their response
was, "We do not test for corn as part of our routine tests as most customers
do not require this."  They added that they do not consider their gum
corn-free.

The lead chemist at Kelco Manufacturing said that U.S. xanthan gum is grown
on corn syrup, a glucose solution.  In England it's grown on wheat syrup.

One person recommended using pectin (aka Sure Jell) in place of the gum in
baking.  Directions are inside the box; all you do is mix it with a liquid
before adding it to your mix.

Some people still have questions:
Is the corn sugar used to feed the bacteria in xanthan gum similar to
alcohol in gluten-free products? ) Scientists assure celiacs that any grain
alcohol is negated during processing so that many alcoholic products are
indeed gluten-free.  (Read more about this in “Xanthan Gum follow-up part 2
Is the corn totally washed away and distilled away during processing?  Or is
there corn residue left?  If residue is left, how much? (Read more about
this in part 2)  There's no "safe" limit of corn for those allergic to corn
set by the FDA.
How can a company claim their product is corn-free if there is indeed corn
residue?
And who is testing to see if there are miniscule amounts of corn present?
Apparently Nebraska University isn't.
If people react to xanthan gum, are they reacting to corn residue or to the
fermentation?

Labeling laws in America have made great strides in the last few years...
but we have a long way to go.  I'm sending a Xanthan Gum follow-up part 2 to
address the specific issue of Authentic Foods' xanthan gum.

Connie Sarros
Gluten-free Cookbooks
www.gfbooks.homestead.com

*******