From:
Deb & Eric <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deb & Eric <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 08:00:03 -0400

I got a mix of responses for Kraft Lunchables.  Some people had them
with no problem, some advised against using them and some make their own
version.  Below are the comments.

My kids get the MegaNachos the other nacho one is not gluten free

i let my sons eat them without the bread and it has never been a problem

The nachos are GF. My 4 year old is EXTREMELY sensitive and he eats this

with no problems

All i can say is that we have tried these (the Ham & Cheese) and our
daughter did not have a reaction to it.    We not sure if she would
react to  cross-contamination.    I would still continue to use them

My 12-year-old daughter ate the Kraft Lunchables everyday for lunch
while she was in grade school.  I just took the crackers/buns out of the
container so she wouldn't be tempted.  She did fine.

Hi, my 7 year old GF son likes the hot dog one.  The bread is
individually wrapped inside so I just take that out and leave the rest.
The ketchup packet included is GF but I have inquired about the mustard
and Heinz mustard is not GF so take that packet out.  My son prefers hot
dogs with ketchup anyway, but I have gotten packets of French's mustard
which is GF.

this has been a real treat for my kids. Each compartment is sealed well.
What I do is cut the
crackers section off so they don't even have to pull the plastic off
that section.
The other one that is gf is the large box of nachos (not the small size
-- check the label carefully).
Sorry, I forget the word they use -- something like Megasize.

I opened the one I could eat and replaced the crackers with rice
crackers when I took one on a hike.  It worked well and was convenient
when I was in an area of small towns where there was nothing I could buy
and I was all out of bread that I had baked.

I wouldnt trust eating them simply because of the cross contamination
issue.  I guess, if you want - do a "test" at home and see if they get
sick. I personally wouldnt do it.  But thats my opinion.

I would be very afraid of the cross contamination.  Why don't you have
the kids make up there own "lunchable" type lunch.  That way you will
then know you are safe.

I had the same situation with my 11 year old daughter.  I let her have
the one that is the "nacho" meal.  I
have not purchased it for a long time, but I don't think there was
anything in it that she could not
have.

I buy the Los Nachos type lunchable and there are no gluten-containing
ingredients currently in it.  I do buy the ham/cheese and turkey/cheese
style lunchable that comes with crackers, but I take my kitchen scissors
and "cut" the cracker compartment out of the lunchable package.

I do use the lunchables and I just take out the crackers and put in rice
crackers instead.  I usually get the turkey or the ham

Kraft is really good about not hiding ingredients. Any company owned by
Kraft follows this policy.

That's their disclosure policy and I haven't heard otherwise. I trust
Kraft.

Just a thought - but have you looked at the nutritional content of
lunchables?
http://kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?s=product
<http://kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?s=product&m=product/product_results&Sit
eId=1&CatalogType=2&SearchText=lunchable&PageNo=1>
&m=product/product_results&SiteId=1&CatalogType=2&SearchText=lunchable&P
ageNo=1
 (go to kraft foods.com and type 'product info' in the search) Since
those of us with Celiac have to make sure we have a  sound nutritional
diet, the lunchables are not the best of choices.  They are very heavy
on fat saturated fat and sugars, and very low on nutrients.  I
understand that kids like to be like the other kids, but the rise in
children with high cholesterol, diabetes, and obesity means a departure
from the 'normal diet' may be the wisest choice.  Sorry if this sounds
rude, but I've been a science/nutrition teacher who has watched the
changes in children over the last 30 years as diets have changed.

I personally wouldn't buy the Lunchables, simply because they are packed
with those gluten items and I don't care to deal with any type of cross
contamination. I would consider it quite a risk to use the same
container.
A great alternative is to buy rice crackers, such as Crunchmaster or
Trader Joe's or Edward and Sons ( http://edwardandsons.com/ ), some
Hormel ham or pepperoni( I use Cure 81 in slices or buy a piece and
slice it) I either cut the ham in squares or use a cute little cookie
cutter which will cut several
layers at once so they can be peeled off just like the Lunchables. We're
casein free so we don't do cheese but add a travel cup style apple sauce
and a Pamela's cookie.

You can buy the Hormel little circle meats and cut cheese in different
shapes and use GF crackers and add the rest of your own treats and you
have a GF lunchable. You don't have to worry about cross-contamination.

You might want to try to make your own lunchables.  Buy them, thoroughly
clean out the package and put GF food in.

We sometimes make homemade "pizza" lunchables by using:
-Kinnickinnick premade GF pizza crusts (and make into small circles with
circle shaped cookie cutter, or cut into 1" sticks)
-Boboli brand pizza sauce that comes in small individual size packets
-shredded mozzarella cheese
I also make homemade homemade "corn dog" lunchables by using:
-Ball park franks cut into two or three large pieces, and then dunked in
my GF pancake batter and then fried on the stove just enough to brown
them
-Enclose some Ian's AlphaTots cooked alphabet shaped fries
I have heard that Ian's (a company that makes GF fish sticks, GF chicken
nuggets, and the GF fries is coming out with GF kids style tv
dinners....)   I haven't seen them yet in our stores... but they are
supposed to be on the way.  Their website (www.iansnaturalfoods.com) is
still not showing these tv dinners/lunchables just yet..