From:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:54:44 -0700

Dear List Mates,

Just in time for the Holidays - challah that you can make for yourself and
enjoy. No, it is not identical to the kind you ate before CD; however, this
stuff is pretty real.

If you are not familiar with challah, it is a rich bread with eggs, milk and
butter. You can leave out the milk (in the form of non-fat dry milk powder)
and change the butter to lite olive oil. It won't be quite the same, but you
will still have a nice rich bread that you can eat as sandwich bread (if you
use Expandex), modify it to make your version of WFM Prairie Bread, or use
it as a base for sweet rolls.

This is yet another of my Expandex experiments. If you are not familiar with
Expandex, then you can go to
http://home.comcast.net/~vhdolcourt/bread/index.html to learn more. If you
are tired about hearing about Expandex and just want to get to the good
stuff, go to http://home.comcast.net/~vhdolcourt/bread/Challah.html .
Expandex makes the challah have a texture more like wheat-based bread. You
can still make the recipe without Expandex, but I am certain that the
results will be quite different. Expandex provides the stretch with much
less crumbling. I've tried using higher percentages of Expandex, but the
bread is too stretchy for my liking.

I've tried to simplify the URL because a number of people have had trouble
with an underscore character in the past. HTML is case-sensitive, so if you
are hand-entering information into your browser, please observe capital and
small letters.

Let me know if you have questions or want to suggest improvements. I am
still very much in the experimental mode with Expandex.

Happy munching,

Vic-Sunnyvale, CA