From:
Lisa Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:49:45 -0500

Hello, I hesitated to make this post, as I don't have time to be innundated
with a million emails, but I think that this info. may clear up a lot of
misunderstanding about the dreaded oat question!  I just attended the
International Symposium on Celiac Disease in August, and there were Dr.'s
from 21 different countries there, all the experts from around the world.

The truth about oats is, that they believe that they are safe for us to eat-
-BUT  A HUGE BUT!!  It is impossible to find oats that are not contaminated
with wheat.  The problem is that oats are almost always grown, transported,
and milled right next to, or with wheat.  I personally got up at the
conference and asked the WORLD'S LEADING GRAIN EXPERT (Dr. Donald Kasarda)
if he knows of anywhere that we could buy uncontaminated oats.  He
IMMEDIATELY SAID NO-  NO HESITATION WHATSOEVER!!  So, in the future, we may
be able to eat them safely, but not now!!  It isn't worth the chance, as we
all can have damage without any symptoms!

The other thing that I would like to recommend is subscribing to Gluten
Free Living Magazine.  I have been diagnosed for 3 years, done tons and
tons of research, (I am a nurse), and it is by far the most accurate and up-
to-date information available to us. There is a huge article in last months
issue about the symposium, and in this months about the new dietary
guidelines for us!!  It is extremely well researched, and you can be sure
that it is accurate! Although this list has been a literal life-saver to
me, there is a lot of incorrect and possibly dangerous info. flying
around.  Good luck to all!!

Lisa