From:
"Jerry D. Walter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 07:54:50 -0400

If you live in the Fort Lauderdale area (Miami to West Palm Beach) I
have good news for you. I will send you privately the name of an RD that
knows CELIAC problems inside out and she is very affordable. She even
has a radio show that pretty much concentrates on diseases of the
digestive tract and how to help improve them. On one of her shows she
was interviewing Elaine Gottschall B.A., M.Sc.(Breaking the Vicious
Cycle, The Kirkton Press) and they concentrated on CELIAC, Crohns and
other similar diseases. Too bad that the Hospitals didn't require their
dieticians to listen in they would have gotten a real education. By the
way, I bought the book and found that it is basically a low carb diet
that works very well at stopping diahrrea. As a refractive CELIAC, I
found good results within 24 hours and as long as I stayed on the diet I
actually had constipation, a welcome change after 64 years of regular
diahrrea.

In defense of at least one very progressive Hospital, or CELIAC support
group meets at the Cape Canaveral Hospital which is very responsive to
the CELIAC's cause. Their dietician attends every meeting and regularily
provides good info on good eating habits. I drive 200 miles every month
to attend these meetings which I credit for saving my life. I wish you
all had the availability of this group, which is exceptional. I do
recommend that you try to get your local hospitals to provide similar
support. Who knows you might get a very young GI doctor to moderate the
meetings that actually knows what he is talking about. It can be done as
Doctor Murray at University of Iowa is probably a regular guest at the
Iowa City Support Group meetings. Too bad that it doesn't happen enough
around the world. Maybe it's our fault for not working to make it
happen?? If you need a model of the ideal support group I will contact
the key players in our group and try to organize their idea of the best
way to make it happen.