From:
Sharon Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 09:49:12 -0600

I am president of the local support group and have a new member who was
diagnosed with DH many years ago.  He has been living on Dapsone .  His
new doctor wants him to get off of it so sent him to a gastro doctor for
a biopsy.  It all came back negative.  I am not very knowledgeable in
this area so have some questions (he has asked for answers).

(1)  I assume that means he has DH but not Celiac--correct?

(2)  If that is the case, can I also assume his villi is not damaged by
gluten,  but he gets sores on his skin instead (when he goes off
dapsone)?

(3)  How does the seriousness compare with celiac as far as the bad
results for not following the diet (lymphoma, etc.)?

(4)  My concern for him is that he has been on dapsone for so long.  Has
anyone been on this for years and does anyone know what can result from
the long-length of dapsone?

(5)  Any other information is welcome for me to be more informed in
helping him and others as questions arise for DH.

Thanks in advance.

Sharon Larson
Topeka Celiac Sprue Support Group