From:
dave taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 09:45:00 PDT

Listmates,

It has been at least a week now, and the response to my inquiry has been
poor.  I did make contact with a company called Pangaea that initially
volunteered to do some testing with Tara Gum (they sell it to the commercial
market).  After I explained to them that I was an individual seeking
information for the Celiac community, they disappeared.  I haven't heard
from them since the initial response. I think they were looking for a
commercial client to buy their product, not a group of individuals seeking 6
to 8 ounces at a time.  Certainly no profit in that!

I have had no responses form anyone in the European area, where according to
various internet articles, Tara Gum is used for baking and in commercial
applications.  The article I read made it sound like it was available in
grocery stores, or health food stores, so I had some hope of a response from
that arena. No responses at all.

One company, in Europe, did advertise sales of the gum, but in 25 to 50 Kg
(about 50 to 100 lbs.) per order.  I honestly don't know what I'd do with
that large a quantity.  Bottom line is that Tara gum is apparently not
available in the US.  Guess we'll have to continue to use Xanthan gum.

My thanks to those of you that did express interest.  I guess this quest is
closed.   Dave T.