From:
Susan Mercier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Aug 1998 22:32:16 -0600

Thank you to everyone who responded to my post regarding safe places to
eat in New Orleans.  My husband will be spending some time there in
September at a Conference, so all the experiences shared and
recommendations are most appreciated.  Out of all the respondents, there
was only one who had indicated that they had a difficult time when
visiting New Orleans. .

Following is a summary if the responses I received:

********
The best place for GF accommodation was a restaurant called NOLA.  The
chef came out to meet me at lunch.  We then made dinner reservations for
a Saturday night and they had a meal all made up and ready for me!  It
was a fantastic experience!  You have to give it a go!  I always carry
with me a card from"Against the Grain" book that states what I can and
can not eat, I find this extremely helpful.  Good luck!  The Commondor
(?sp) is another place that was recommended to me but not quite as
accommodating as NOLA's.

********
First night dinner at Emeril's Restaurant.  I had written them in
advance re dietary requirements (thank you Mary for your sample
letters) and had a fabulous experience there.  The chef came out to
introduce himself and worked with me to make almost any dish that I
desired GF. The food was wonderful and my husband and friends enjoyed
the special treatment.  The chef continued to visit the table to ensure
that I was lacking in nothing.  I HIGHLY recommend this restaurant to
all!

Lunch at Acme Oyster House.  I had fried food in a restaurant!
They assured me in advance that the restaurant only uses corn meal with
absolutely no wheat or other taboo ingredients in the friers.

Brunch at Commander's.  Not so welcoming as Emeril's, but the
chef actually researched CD in advance of my visit and prepared a
wonderful meal of crab cakes (with no breading), grilled tuna and
flourless chocolate cake.  They even had GF vodka for a great bloody
mary. Another hit!
********

I am not sure where the convention center is, but I had a great
experience at many restaurants in the city itself.  In the French
Quarter, we had lunch at Acme Oyster Company.  Great oysters and steamed
crayfish, and all of the fried food was fried in 100% cornmeal.  It
was  fattening, but delicious - the first fried food that I had had in a
restaurant in ages!

I also had a great experience at Emeril's Restaurant in the
Arts/Warhouse   District.  I wrote a letter to them in advance (send it
to reservations,  not the chef, because Emeril gets so many letters that
yours could get  lost in the shuffle).  They went out of their way to
accommodate me and  the food was INCREDIBLE!

There also was Commander's Palace.  I didn't care for it as much as
Emeril's, but with a little prodding they also accommodated me.
Almost anywhere you can get beans and rice.  I always checked to make
sure there was no hidden gluten in the beans, and I never had a problem.

Breakfast was the most difficult meal.  I simply brought rice cakes and
had them with some fruit and coffee in the hotel.
**********
I went to a conference in New Orleans back in January, and
stayed at the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon Street, within walking distance
of the conference center.  I ate breakfast each day in the "Olde
N'Awlins Cookery" next to the hotel.  I don't remember what I ate (maybe
omelets?), but I had no problems, the staff was helpful, and though the
food wasn't wonderful, it was inexpensive and service was good.  The
Desire restaurant in my hotel had a shrimp creole that a very helpful
waitress ascertained was GF, as well as some sort of steak I remember
having one night.

The real find was the Red Fish Grill on Bourbon Street.
Wonderful food.  I ordered some sort of chicken dish served on garlic
mashed potatoes (with a sauce that was also safe), and dessert was some
sort of pudding or flan in a spun sugar basket.  There were other dishes
I could have eaten too, as I remember.  What I had was the best meal
I've had in a long, long time.

Everyone was helpful and I had no bad experiences with food. I
didn't eat in the conference center restaurant, except to get coffee
and bottled water, but it's cafeteria style and if nothing else, there
are salads (with dressing on the side).

*******
New Orleans is a fun place to visit, but I will not be returning soon,
as I had so many problems with the food.  Good thing you are going to
the convention center...perhaps you can get some meals there.

On the 3rd day of our visit, and as I was getting progressively sicker
with cramps etc. I found out that the crab boil that most of the food is
cooked in has MSG and other assorted ingredients that did not agree with
me.  I had been asking for plain food, and they cannot seem to prepare
anything without this crab boil in the water.  It is a very wheat based
society down there - from the benets to the sauces.

Now, I am not a person who is scared to travel or eat out.  I am on the
road in North Americal 2-3 weeks of the month right now, and have been
doing this for 4 years.  I am very versed in obtaining GF food in
restaurants, or I would not survive on the road.

I have never had such a challenge getting a meal!

I did have some flourless (and of course non-calorie) chocolate
cake/mousse though.  It was on Canal Street in a restaurant that was
kind of fancy.  It had two floors and a winding staircase to the 2nd
level.  We just went for dessert.  It was on the French Quarter side of
the street, across from a major hotel.  Sorry I cannot remember it's
name...

******
In New Orleans there are many great restaurants. You need to be aware
that many of the foods like gumbo and classic French foods have been
made from a roux which contain wheat starch. Often the batted seafood is
done in corn starch but you need to ask. There are many see food
restaurants that broil and bake fish and other shell fish. You may want
to check out one of the Lakefront restaurants for great foods as well as
accommodate your diet. The classic restaurants like Antoine, Brennens
and those in the Quarter you need to explain what you can't have. K'Paul
is great but the lines are long, again look out for dishes made with a
roux.  Many dishes in New Orleans are served with rice and are great.
Shrimp stew is often fixed with tomato gravy and is usually safe, but do
check out if the gravy is tomato or brown, if brown it probably has
wheat in it.  Good luck and enjoy the beauty of city and surrounding
areas.
*****

Thank you again to each and everyone of you for sharing your
experiences, recommendations and things to beware of.  From the sounds
of it, Dan could be in for a taste sensation, as long as he is careful!

Susan in Calgary