From:
Ray McKerrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 1996 21:35:06 -0400

To those involved in the discussion over ethics and the amount of gluten
one can tolerate.....I would ask Don NOT to drop off the list; If I wish
to disagree with him on an issue, I will; and I feel certain that he will
respect my intelligence in making personal choices.  This life experience
has occupied my time and attention for the past six years (and I spent a
good bit of my time harvesting wheat and barley in my early years, so there
is an irony here).  My one wish on this list is that privacy of individuals
be respected, that free choice be respected (even if you disagree); the one
most important ingredient in this list is that everyone share what they
learn, be as clear about the degree of certainty one can reasonably claim,
and then let people on the list make their own decisions.
  I don't often comment on these issues, but as a person who has invested
his life in argument and persuasion, I would hope that we argue the issues
and not the personalities.......enough; let's return to posting all that we
discover that is of use (I found, for example, that risotto dishes in Italy
were not problematic for me, but the suggestion from a list member that
she had problems certainly made me more cautious, and for that I am
grateful.....).  Raymie McKerrow