From:
Theresa Souchet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 20:36:21 -0400

Thanks to all who wrote to me about what to eat in New Orleans.  Below is a summary of the restaurants that were suggested.  I listed all the information I received.  Apparently, the eating is good in New Orleans.  They are proud of their food.  But as is usually the case, the most expensive restuarants do the best job of accommodating our needs.  For this reason, I only went to one restaurant, Acme Oyster House (3 times!).  I brought my own food and decided that it was just too expensive to have my entire family eat at the expensive places.

Acme Oyster House
724 Iberville Street
French Quarter
(504) 522-5973
Excellent fried fish.  They use cornmeal.  I did not verify gluten-free status.  It was suggested by 3 people on the list.  Delicious and very reasonably priced!

The Pelican Club
615 Bienville
317 Exchange Alley
French Quarter
(504) 523-1504
The person who suggested this restaurant said he has been gluten free for 20 years.  This restaurant has done a really good job since then!

Nola's
No further information.  I believe this is one of Emeril's restaurants.  One person who recommended it gave it high marks.  Another said it was not as difficult to get into as Emeril's

Felix's Oyster Bar
Located across the street from Acme.  Casual and reasonably priced.

Emeril's
High End.  Several list members recommended it.  Apparently there is a letter (probably on the archives) written by a Mary.  She sends it ahead to the restaurant and doesn't have a problem with her meal.

Brigtsen's
723 Dante St. (Maple St.)
New Orleans, LA  70118-1013
(504) 861-7610
Located on the edge of the garden district.  The person who recommended it said it was "the most fabulous experience ever."  They made a separate meal from start to finish.

Antoine's Restaurant.
No information given.

Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse
Call ahead.

Commander's Palace
Call ahead.  List member has a specially prepared meal of crab cakes, grilled tuna, and flourless chocolate cake.

Del Monico's
Good meal.  No further information.

Good luck.