From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 20:11:57 -0700

I originally asked if anyone knew if Gulden's spicey brown mustard is GF
or if my son & I got celiac type symptoms from something else I ate in my
honey-mustard chicken wings.  After the many, MANY responses that told me
that it's GF and the many who have used Gulden's for years without
incident, I've come to the conclusion that my son & I perhaps reacted to
mustard itself (as in an allergy) or vinegar, but not for gluten
contamination reasons.  I'll quote some of the best representative
Tacoma

>I have contacted about Guildens over the 12 years I have known I am
celiac and they have always responded that they are GF.  The chemist told
me once that their vinegar was not grain-derived but a coal-tar
"artificial"
vinegar.... Guldens is now owned by ConAgra.  I went to their website and
send an e-mail question about the current GF status. (Carol) <

<I didn't get sick from the Gulden's mustard, but from Grey Poupon.  I
know that we are told that vinegar is safe, but I just can't help but
wonder if there are particles of the gliadin left in the vinegar after
the processing
which trigger the reaction.... As for spicy foods, I eat them all the
time with no bad effect.  So, I don't
think that's it.  I would like the case reopened on the safety of the
vinegar, however. (O)<

>Boar's Head is great spicey mustard, Val. And definitely GF as is all
their stuff. (vance)<

>I eat Heart Mountain brand, honey mustard.  I got it from one of the
gluten free online stores.  Sorry, I
forgot which one.  Phone number is 1-888-945-3996. (Sherri)<

>It may very well be the vinegar. Vinegar is acidic. I am g/f over 25 yrs
and find that I cannot tolerate anything spicy to this day. Darn, I miss
out on all the goodies. (Rope) <

>P.S. If it was not the Gulden's or the vinegar (which IS gf according to
Ann Whelan's camp, unless it is malt!), perhaps it was the chicken
wings....a bit of salmonella? (Bev)<  [Good point, Bev]

>I just made my own first batch of mustard from Penzy's powdered mustard!
So far, so good....Basically you buy the powder (relatively cheap: it
makes a LOT) -- you can use just the find powder or add as much of the
cracked (brown seeds) as you want. Then you mix it with any vinegar you
get along with -- they have the proportions on the package. And honey,
salt etc. if you want...  When you first make it, it tastes AWFUL. You
let it set on your counter for some period of time until it gets as mild
as you like it, then put it in the fridge. Mine's been out a couple of
weeks and it's beginning to taste darn good. In it's "spicy" state it
bothers my stomach too, but you can let it get as mild as you want.
(Heidi)<

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.