Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 20:46:48 EDT

HI
Just to follow up with a complete picture...
I received over 30 responses.  My sincere thanks to all of you.

~4 people suggested that I try plain lobster with NO BUTTER.  They find that
the combination of lobster + melted butter is a problem for them, even though
each food separately is not a problem.

~ 4 others suggested trying just a slight amount of lobster

~  1 person suggested that I may be allergic to the iodine in lobster

~ Many people indicated that they too had suddenly reacted to lobster or to
another single type of shell fish, while all other types were still not a
problem.

~ 1 response was very informative & I have included it below:

I have had problems from eating fish.  I had swordfish
from Walmart Superstore in the frozen fish section
last year and was ill for over a month.  It was a
gluten reaction, too, not something else (like food
poisoning).  I have read that sometimes fish are
packed in barley brine or they are put in it during
transporting to the food processor.  Also, there is
absolutely no way of knowing this, as even the food
packers aren't always aware of it.

When I was on vacation last year, I thought I'd eat
fresh fish at a restaurant, but they told me that the
trawlers do sometimes add things to the water to keep
the algae/microbes in check, so I was not comfortable
in eating the fish even there.  One of the most common
additives to prevent algae growth is barley.  Bales of
barley, BTW, are also added to ponds and
water-features in gardens to prevent algae growth.  So
Celiacs should avoid dipping into those as well.

My guess would be that your lobster may have been in a
holding tank with barley before processing.

Again my appreciation to all of you.
Best wishes,
Kathy C